it starts to make noise and go to sleep

bisomrj

Registered
I am using a macMini with 10.4.11, For the last three days after about 20 mins of use it starts to make noise and go to sleep .. immediately wakes up but returns to sleep mode every 2-3 mins at last turn off. what is the defect and how can i solve the problem?

What kind of noise and from where?

Is the noise coming from the mini's case itself? Or from the speakers?

If it is coming from the mini's case, is it a sizzling, whistling, or sushing sound? (This would indicate a failing power supply.)

It it a clicking sound? (This might be a failing hard drive.)

Can you hear the fan running in the mini's case? (If not, you probably have an overheating problem.)

If you open up Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities), and choose the uppermost item in the left column, at the bottom of the window it will say:
"S.M.A.R.T. Status:"
What does it say that the S.M.A.R.T. Status is?

If it is coming from the mini's case, is it a sizzling, whistling, or sushing sound? (This would indicate a failing power supply.)
Highly unlikely, since the Mac mini's power supply is not located inside of the mini itself.

While it may indicate something wrong with the power circuitry, more than likely, if the power supply was bad, you would have problems with the power brick that's included with the mini -- not with the actual mini itself.

Do you have any USB hubs? Remove them.
Any USB devices other than wired keyboard or mouse? Remove them.
Anything else constantly plugged in than wired keyboard or mouse? Remove them.
"Wake for adminstrative access" on? Disable it.

When it wakes, post what shows in Console application (/Applications/Utilities)

the noise is of fan and comes from the macmini case inside.
Actually it occurs when i try to use the applications like photoshop cs3 or when i play the online games. then it starts to make noise, i think the noise of a fan spinning very fast and in on time it goes to sleep. and if i press any button or click a mouse again it wakes up but again goes to sleep.
i don't know which part is malfunctioning and what to do?

Do you have the computer sitting on a hard flat surface such as a desk? Check the air vents on the back and bottom of the Mini, are they clean, dust free, obstruction free?

First try restarting and see if that resolves your issues. If not you may need to reset the PMU. This is done by:

1. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.

2. Wait 10 seconds.

3. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.

4. Let go of the power button.

5. Press the power button once more to start up your Mac mini.

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if you find this information useful

Last edited:
thanks djackmac, for the tips but it doesn't work for this problem.
i have done all the steps that you said, and when it restarts it prompt that the system date is changed and manually manage the date and time. and i do accordingly but still i face the same problem when i try to work on photoshop.
what to do?

Try to watch activity monitor and see what happens when you open Photoshop. Activity Monitor can be found in applications/utilities.

i noticed that when the photoshop is running in the activity monitor CPU usage goes very high and when it fills the screen, the computer goes to sleep/standby.

My daughter's G4 mini had this high-fan-persistent-sleep problem, and it had been getting worse and worse, to the point where she virtually stopped using her computer entirely (hogging mine instead).

I think I just solved it. As a test, I have Handbrake ripping a DVD right now -- a huge processor load for this wee machine. The fan's running, but not racing. It's been crunching away now for about an hour now, and no sudden sleep. Before now, this would have been unthinkable -- watch a couple of YouTube, and the sleep cycle would start.

The answer was simple and obvious: dust. Your mini needs an intensive internal cleaning. You'll need a putty knife and Philips screwdriver (to open up your mini and expose its guts) plus a can of compressed air.

http://ifixit.com has a good walk-through for opening the mini and removing the mass storage assembly. When you do that, chances are that you will see a dust-caked circuit board, fan, etc. I'm no computer repair technician, and I managed the task.

Here's the iFixit walk-through.

That dust has been trapping the heat, and causing your mini to overheat (or to think that it's overheating). At that point, it goes to sleep to protect itself.

Blast the dust out of every nook and cranny, including the fan. Snake your air-can's straw into every crevice. Then reassemble, and voila!

We're now well past an hour, and Handbrake is still merrily converting video on my daughter's mini. I can't wait for her to get home so I can tell her that her computer's back to normal.

Back