Itunes for pc radio

GUNDAM-RX78

Registered
Hi guys

My boss is installing a pc at work and it will be exclusively for music.....I wanted him to get a mac but he is a PC guy and wont change....but I got him to use itunes but with one snag........and he wants me to find out, is it possible for itunes on the PC to run an internet radio station through itunes.....?

Thanks for any advice guys

Cheers

Yes. But it depends on the format used by the individual station. Some will run only in Real Player and others will run only in Windows Media Player, and others will run in Quicktime. Some services such as Radio 365 have their own player as well and may either use Quicktime or their own codec. AFIK there is no universal application for all internet radio stations.

you mean if you can serve a radio station TO the internet? or whether you can listen to the music on that PC from other PCs/Macs in the office? Or whether you can _listen_ to an internet radio station?

The first: You'd need a special software for that.
The second: You can do that using Rendezvous in iTunes.
The third: Yes. You can.

fryke said:
you mean if you can serve a radio station TO the internet? or whether you can listen to the music on that PC from other PCs/Macs in the office? Or whether you can _listen_ to an internet radio station?

The first: You'd need a special software for that.
The second: You can do that using Rendezvous in iTunes.
The third: Yes. You can.

He wants to serve a station to the net, at the moment he wants to use winamp on a pc but I want to know if we can sub winamp for itunes, is itunes capable of providing a to the web radio station or do we have to combine software?

Sorry if I wasnt clear guys.

Thanks again

Hi guys

Just got another burst of information from my boss.

He says he wants to use winamp with the "shout cast" plug in to " broadcast the mp3s currently playing in the bar over the net.

Is this possible with itunes alone? Or possible with itunes and a combination of another software?

iTunes doesn't support internet casting; earlier versions (I think 4.0 or less; certainly pre-PC) had a feature where you could share your library over the net to someone else who had iTunes, in exactly the same way you can now on a LAN (with Rendezvous). The feature was removed with the intent on iTunes being more legal, and it was seen that this sort of thing led to illegal behaviour.

So for the same reason, iTunes doesn't support broadcasting.

You can use other software for that; there's plenty of it. I'm sure you could get a small application like WireTap (on the Mac) that reads in all the audio from the sound card and then find some way to broadcast that; allowing you to use iTunes to queue the music up and browse it, but broadcasting it afterward.

texanpenguin said:
iTunes doesn't support internet casting; earlier versions (I think 4.0 or less; certainly pre-PC) had a feature where you could share your library over the net to someone else who had iTunes, in exactly the same way you can now on a LAN (with Rendezvous). The feature was removed with the intent on iTunes being more legal, and it was seen that this sort of thing led to illegal behaviour.

So for the same reason, iTunes doesn't support broadcasting.

You can use other software for that; there's plenty of it. I'm sure you could get a small application like WireTap (on the Mac) that reads in all the audio from the sound card and then find some way to broadcast that; allowing you to use iTunes to queue the music up and browse it, but broadcasting it afterward.

Yeah I was starting to think after a bit of research that itunes doesnt have a facility for that.....

I guess then that the next logical step would be to ask you guys if you know of any pc software I could download/buy that would in conjunction with itunes enable me to broadcast an internet radio onto the net.

Yes, there's ShoutCast, Icecast, and pretty much any Streaming MP3 server software. Several are avialable for Mac, Linux and Windows and many are free.

Back