iTunes question - wasting disk space?

tyma

Registered
(Just FYI, I'm on a 1ghz eMac with a 60gb HDD and 256mb RAM)

Ok, so, I recently switched from Windows to Mac. I moved a bunch of MP3s (legal MP3s, I might add) from my old Wintel box to the Music folder in my home folder. When I cued them up in iTunes, it created an iTunes folder and copied all the MP3s with proper ID4 tags to a hierarchy in that iTunes folder. So now about 75% of my collection is duplicated. When I delete the iTunes folder, it is just recreated the next time I run iTunes and cue all the MP3s again.

What's going on? How can I stop that from happening? Isn't that a HUGE waste of disk space?

Thanks,
Tim.

:) dont delete the itunes folder. Delete the music in the other directory instead (the ones that have been copied to itunes).

or...
start all over, but uncheck the "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"-check box in itunes preferences / advanced.

I think the best thing is to let itunes handle the mp3's and delete the originals. that way it will be organized in a good way!
Good luck!

go to iTunes preferences and then advanced

now you have 2 options

- set iTunes music folder to the folder with you existing mp3s

- or uncheck copy files

and if you use your existing mp3 folder do note that if u have "keep folder organised" checked, it will reorganize all your mp3s into artist/album/song.mp3

Resist the urge to defy iTunes. Let it manage the file structure of your MP3 collection, it does a great job of it.

Once you drag songs to iTunes and it copies them into the iTunes Music folder, delete the originals.

Back