Jaguar and older G3s

CalSD

Registered
Will Jaguar finally solve the problem of not being able to install on a partition greater than 8 gigs on older G3s?

Do you mean 8 gigs?

Seems like it'd be kinda hard to install Mac OS X on an 8-meg partition, too. :D

-the valrus

That's a mobo limitation i belive. something to do with the ide controller?

and jaguar will probably still be absolutely horrendous on RagePro chips, i.e., unusable quicktime and opengl

bastards.

I'm a bit worried about Jaguar on my imac G4. Seeing as the geForce2MX is the lowest model one that will run Quartz, how slow will it run it? Or maybe I'm just worrying too much :D

Originally posted by Hypernate
I'm a bit worried about Jaguar on my imac G4. Seeing as the geForce2MX is the lowest model one that will run Quartz, how slow will it run it? Or maybe I'm just worrying too much :D

However your iMac runs Quartz now with 10.1.4, it will be greatly improved in Jaguar, since you've got one of the supported video cards for Quartz Extreme. You will see a great improvement.

You won't be disappointed.

Jaguar does not solve the 8 GB problem.

It runs almost perfectly smooth on my G4 with an ATI Rage Pro 128, so a Geforce 2MX will fly.
10.2 also supports ATI Rage Pro chips, so graphics are accelerated even on old G3s and iBooks. I might try to install it on my old iMac, just to see how much faster it is :)

Back