Jaguar + Apache + Linksys + DynDNS

griffitts

Registered
I have the personal web server running in Jaguar. Pages are served fine inside the network. My DSL IP address is dynamic so I have a DynDNS.org address being updated via DNSUpdate. I am sitting behind a Linksys router with port 80 forwarded to the Mac. I cannot access the web pages via my DynDNS address. I understand that port 80 might be (probably is) blocked by my ISP. I set up the Apache httpd.conf for port 8090 (aside: can web traffic be routed on any port#, assuming it's not in use?) Inside the network, the pages worked fine on the new port, but not outside the network. Do I need to make other adjustments to the httpd.conf file to account for the DynDNS address? Is there anything else I might be missing: Apache, router, etc? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is what I would try:

1. reconfig DynDNS so that it point to your.domain.name:8090
2. set your Linksys to forward all requests for your.domain.name:8090 to your server. (i think you can find the interface to set up the forwards in the 'advanced' setting on your linksys)

The other way to do it is to put you machine in the DMZ, but that exposes you box to the outside. I think port forwarding is a bit safer.

I have the router forwarding port 8090 to my Mac. Are you saying that I should tie the domain name (in this case: griffitts.homeip.net) to forwarding in the router? If so, I haven't seen anything in the Linksys configuration to allow for that.

are the request coming throughDynDNS coming to griffitts.homeip.net:8090 or just griffitts.homeip.net?

it the request are just griffitts.homeip.net, they they are only looking for port 80...have you tried

griffitts.homeip.net:8090

i cannot hit it from here, it does not resolve, and request to griffitts.homeip.net are just refuses.

try using a port number like 9000 or something, maybe they blocking ANYTHING with an 80 in it..(but not likely)

If griffitts.homeip.net is just not resolving, then it's a dyndns/dnsupdate problem, not a router problem.

However, it does resolve for me. However:

Code:
$ telnet griffitts.homeip.net 8090
Trying 66.32.5.171...
Connected to griffitts.homeip.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

Connection closed by foreign host.

Seems your server doesn't know what to do...

66.xx.xx.xx isn't my current IP address at home. Should a ping of griffitts.homeip.net get an address in the homeip.net block or should it get my wan address at home? If it's supposed to be my address then it certainly does seem to be a DynDNS problem.

from nslookup:

nslookup griffitts.homeip.net
Name: griffitts.homeip.net
Address: 66.32.5.171

and

nslookup 66.32.5.171
Name: user-11201db.dsl.mindspring.com
Address: 66.32.5.171

seems to be your WAN address.

When I left the house a few hours ago my IP was 174.xx.xx.xx, then you saw 66.32.5.171. I called my wife at home 10 minutes to check whatismyip.com and it said my IP was 66.32.4.40. I just checked DynDNS.org and it said my ip is 66.32.6.70. I would blame it on DNSUpdate if it weren't for whatismyip.com reporting the different IP. I know the router has been up and running. Is my DSL continuously dropping the connection and then reconnecting, giving me a new IP? Sounds like a call to Earthlink tech support is in order.

A flakey connection is possible.

I have earthlink too and HATE it! I can't wait for my contract to expire so I can kick those bastards to the curb...

Be careful calling earthlink. They don't want you serving sites from home.

Have you checked your server logs? Jaguar messed up sendmail and postfix for me - the silly default hostnames confused the poor programs half to death...

Back