Kernel panic even when starting up in "safe-mode" (macbook)

toed

Registered
I'm running a new (less than a month old) MacBook, MacOS 10.4 with all the latest updates, factory RAM, all peripherals disconnected, and I've reset the nvram and SMU. The Apple Hardware Test from the install DVD reports no problems.

I can't get it to boot up fully into MacOS no matter what I try.

If I try to startup without holding down any keys, I get the apple logo, then a kernel panic before the spinning icon appears. In "safe-mode" I get the apple and the spinning icon, then kernel panic. In single-user mode, "/sbin/fsck -fy" says the volume "appears to be ok," and I can read the files on the hard drive just fine as far as I can tell, but as soon as I try "/sbin/mount -uw /" : kernel panic.

Trying to startup from the install DVD, I get the apple with the spinning icon, then a plain blue screen, then the DVD spins down after a minute and the macbook is unresponsive. But I CAN startup from the install DVD into single-user mode just fine, if that helps any.

Any suggestions?
The only thing I can think of is to verify/repair/diagnose (or whatever you guys might suggest) my MacBook's hard drive from single-user mode, but I don't know how to do this (other than fsck). Any ideas here?

Also, I have a PowerMac G5 with MacOS 10.3.9 and an Ethernet cable but I don't know how to connect it to my MacBook while my MacBook is in single-user mode. If I could connect them via Ethernet is there anything I could do?

Also, I could post a pic of the kernel panic info if that would help.

Thanks for your help!

Have you tried booting the MacBook in target mode and connecting it to your G5? It would interesting to see if that works. If it does by some slim chance, you might be able to get your files off of there, and then take your MacBook to the Apple store to get it fixed. (Since it's only a month old, it's under warranty. Let the Apple guys deal with it. ;-) )

You'll need a Firewire cable.

Unfortunately, I'd also need MacOS 10.4 ($130) according to this article: ("Mac OS X 10.3.9 or eariler cannot mount volumes from an Intel-based Mac in Target Disk Mode.") And even then it's not guaranteed to work.

I'll have to check if anyone I know runs 10.4...

Thanks wraith and TMM.

Back