Kernel Panics, 10.1 reinstall errors

seamusmh

Registered
I'm having a major problem with reinstalling os 10.1.

Before i explain my problem, lemme say that before this my 10.1.1 performance had been flawless, even running several adobe and microsoft betas, not a single kernel panic.

So i installed Fink, and then php and then mysql via the fink interface, my computer failed to reboot, hanging on the blank screen just after the happy mac. Several unsuccessful efforts to restore the system resulted in a total reinstall (after a backup).

Since I have several partitions, it was no problem to zero the data on my 10.1 partition with techtool (in os 9.2.1) and then begin reinstalling. I started with my original 10.0.0 cd and proceeded through each subsequent upgrade without problem.

Then i reboot from the 10.1 upgrade cd and answer all the questions. It begins to install 10.1 and just after "processing the bsd subsystem" the installer says "there were errors with the installation" and stops. Anything i do after this results in a kernel panic and i have to restart.

I've zeroed the data on my 10.1 partition three times now, trying minor alterations in my installation procedure each time.

My only guess is that the cd is damaged, or maybe that i have faulty ram, or hd drivers. Except that the ram and hd work fine in 10.0.4 and 9.2.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Seamus

Have you checked your disk?
This used to be my main problem... with OSX!
Changed the HD and everything ran fine!

I has the same problem when instaling for the first time off of a 10.1 disc. It took me at least 67 attempts to install the OS without error and now it is on there it is totally unusable beacause it crashes & freezes when I do anything!

I've been surfing the Apple discussion pages looking for answers. It looks like lots of people are finding success by swapping out ram, apparently this might only be necessary for the installation. After 10.1 is installed successfully, the offending ram can be reinstalled.

I'm going to try three different sticks of ram in various combinations, and if that fails then two different hard drives.

No fun for me this weekend :(

For the first time in years, I've actually thought about switching platforms, I'm worried I'll have to buy a new computer, since I had grown accustomed to the unix-y underpinnings in os x. Now I'm thinking i'll just switch to linux and run all my graphics apps in Windows XP. I'm sure I'll never actually do this, but after three days and nights of total failure, i'm fast running out of ideas. I'll probably lose my job if i can't run and test php natively.

Before you totally ruin your weekend, try switching around your USB connections. I read a post in another forum where someone who had had major installation problems and regular kernel panics was able to completely cure matters by changing the configuration of his USB peripherals.
Might not work, but at least it'll only take a few minutes to check.

Back