Keyboard Errors

Rose57

Registered
Hi
I have an old iNac G3
The keyboard is acting weird...specifically the following keys do not work
e.g. the one between n and , gives a weird display, e.g. c/.,vb or the window is nininized
also, the key between k and h and the key between y and i give garbled display, eg UEPOIR or '??…¬?

The keys seened to be sticking so I cleaned with air
Restarted to no avail

Thanks, Rose

,vbnxz
lkfghs
UEPOIR

You have an 'iNac G3' do you..?? I take it the 'M' key produces an 'N'..!!

Sorry..couldn't resist that..why don't you just buy a replacement USB keyboard, sounds like yours is broken with a capital 'F'..

Try rebooting your G3 and hold down Shift right after the Macintosh startup chime. If you're running OS 9, you should see a message saying Extensions Disabled. If you're running OS X, it should say you're booting in Safe Mode.

If the keyboard problem goes away, then it's possible some keyboard setting (Keyboard Control Panel in OS 9 or Keyboard & Mouse in OS X's System Preferences) was changed. If not, then it's possible that you're keyboard is fubar-ed. Try connecting another USB keyboard to it if you can to make sure it's the keyboard.

On a lighter note, I wouldn't mind an iNac G3 myself. Nac Nac Nac! :D

sorry to be unorthodox, but i'd just throw that keyboard in a tub with warm water, flush the whole thing some times, leave it in there for a while (hours?), replace the water with fresh (warm) water, and leave it a while again, take it out, shake the water out, leave it to dry for a long time (at least a day, it should be really really dry) and it should work again.

at least that how i've done it with succes a number of times..

Back