Keyboard Recommendations?

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Greetings All,

I have the standard eMac (unfortunately discontinued--I don't like LCDs) with the standard large footprint keyboard. I'm a writer: I'm just interested in a key board with the two USB ports, and usual functions, more interested in how well the keyboard works for a writer, not an accountant, i.e., I don't need the extra number pad that takes up still more space. Are there any recommendations for a Mac keyboard that doesn't take up so much space, but has keys large enough for writing? I've seen a "Google" keyboard, which appears smaller, but are the keys large enough, and have the extra USB ports? Or is the Mac Mini keyboard a good choice, with its so-called "cherry key" technology? What is cherry key technology anyway? Recommendations are appreciated. Sincerely, Sparrowhawk.

I understand that you're looking for a small keyboard, but if may suggest another keyboard. Since you're a writer you would want the most comfortable keyboard for yourself because of the amount of typing that you're going to be doing. I personally prefer an ergonomic keyboard, i found it a bit to get use to but once I did I found it so much more comfortable because it feels a bit more natural to type on.

http://www.microsoft.com/japan/presspass/pressroom/images/051104_NaturalErgonomicKeyboard4000.jpg

If you want a cool keyboard that everyone is going to be jealous about then I would suggest the link below. It says that it has limited mac os x support but I don't know what that means.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

I know that you're looking for a small keyboard and I have yet to list one and the reason is because any keyboard that you find in stores will work with your mac. So I would suggest to go to a computer store and try them out to see which one you feel more comfortable with personally because everyone is different

In searching out possible substitutions for the eMac's standard keyboard, I came across the so-called Googolboard. It's designed for kids, with clumsy fingers and a minimum of extra keys like a number pad. As a big person with clumsy fingers and primarily interested in the eMac as a word processor, does anyone have any experience of this rather colorful keyboard? In particular, I'm wondering how many USB hubs it has, how easy it is to type with. The standard keyboards have keys that are just too darn small. Thanks. Sparrowhawk

Greetings All,

I have the standard eMac (unfortunately discontinued--I don't like LCDs) with the standard large footprint keyboard. I'm a writer: I'm just interested in a key board with the two USB ports, and usual functions, more interested in how well the keyboard works for a writer, not an accountant, i.e., I don't need the extra number pad that takes up still more space. Are there any recommendations for a Mac keyboard that doesn't take up so much space, but has keys large enough for writing? I've seen a "Google" keyboard, which appears smaller, but are the keys large enough, and have the extra USB ports? Or is the Mac Mini keyboard a good choice, with its so-called "cherry key" technology? What is cherry key technology anyway? Recommendations are appreciated. Sincerely, Sparrowhawk.
I have a Powermac G3 with an original keyboard thats nice to type on. It just has to be realy light. because it is black and the letters are slightly faded.

The Googolboard does not have function keys, in addition to not having a standard keypad. This may not be an issue for you. There is also no USB ports on the keyboard (The pictures of that keyboard may or may not be accurate - there does appear to be USB ports, probably at each end of the keyboard. There's no mention of those ports in the tech data for the keyboard.
Here's another keyboard from the same company that makes the googolboard.
http://www.notestation.com/smk-88.htm
It has the Cherry switches that you were asking about. Cherry makes a good mechanical keyswitch, which has that good 'clicky' touch that many typers prefer over the non-mechanical keyswitches that most cheap keyboards use.
The SMK-88 also has function keys, and has a USB port at each end of the keyboard.
It also has the Mac normal extra buttons, which the Googolboard does not.

Thanks for the information, Delta. I did see the Cherry switch keyboard, but was confused about its function. I think I have enough information now to make a reasoned decision about purchasing this keyboard. (At least I won't have to explain the silly looking Googolboard--but ah, how the old Commodore 64 keyboard, or my electric Smith Corona typewriter, was a joy to use compared to modern computer keyboards, with their big clunky keys!) Thanks again!

Back