LaCie 300 ("lego") drive?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
I was just wondering if anyone has used the following drive with Mac OS X (specifically an iBook if possible) and has any recommendations.

http://www.microserv.multimicro.ca/...alogID=0&SupplierPartNo=097814&ShowSpecs=True

(MicroServ is my 'local' Apple retailer, not a bad place if you live around Dorval).

It's mostly to extend the useful space of my 100 GB iBook for audio recording, so it should be more than fast enough for DTD-ing. I'm curious about reliability, the real-world use of "bus power" which tends not to work, especially on laptops, etc.

Any input appreciated.

I am wary of LaCie products, in general. I have owned two (now busted) LaCie products, and couldn't even get service for the busted pocket drive. It was just after the 1 year warranty... later, I opned it up, and after testing, found that the problem was not th 3rd party hard disk within it, but LaCie's own drive controller circuitry.

lol. A lego brick. cute.

That's kind of what I was worried about. I've heard mixed things about LaCie (I have a FW400 drive myself for many years without problems though).

Any other LaCie reviews ?

PS I like the ovation in your AV; I have a Celebrity.

I would stay away from LaCie's "Porsche"-branded drives. They're lower-cost than LaCie's d2 line, and tend to have problems.

I would personally recommend building your own external hard drive. You can get a high-quality enclosure for around $50, and a 300GB drive for $150 or so -- you could probably get either for less than that by shopping around a bit.

I built an external FireWire 200GB drive with a Bytecc FireWire case for around $50 and a Seagate 200GB 8mb cache IDE hard drive from Best Buy, on sale for $80. Works flawlessly, plus I know the wiring's good because I did it myself. Swapping drives in and out of it is a breeze (<5 mins), which helped recently when I upgraded my system drive (60GB -> 120GB, perfect CarbonCopyClone).

Back