Layer positioning issue, cross-platform

uoba

Re: member
I am currently developing a site. Mainly using standard HTML tables, CSS etc. And the odd layer here and there. One page in particular though, relies on layers quite a bit for a particular feature.

Unfortunately, there is a positional difference between where they show on the Mac and where they show on the PC.

We are talking about 10-15px out on every position in Safari, and a hell of the way out on Explorer (all compared the IE on XP). All positions are absolute. Should they be relative? I have a couple of coloured cubes which are positioned relatively with CSS and they are holding their position fairly well.

UPDATE...

I'm finding relational positioning to be more stable than absolute. The only downside is that DWMX doesn't view relative positioning to well whilst working (is fine when previewing in the browser).

UPDATE UPDATE...

Now that i am trying to use relative positioning (relative to where the code is placed)... this creates another problem.

For some reason, if for example I put a size of width:50px and height:50px... for some bizarre reason, the code tag within dreamweaver (the funny little invisible element icon in the design layout), want's to expand the space around it as if it where the size also (50 x 50px)!

Strange, since this is simply a marker to signify the <div> code is there. Anyone?

sorry, I don't have a solution or help to offer, but was also having some similar issues with layers just today.

so come on peeps, lets hear your ideas! thanks.

also, here's another problem I'm having:
I have 2 layers RIGHT next to each other (currently positioned ABSOLUTE). But when I preview it, layer 3 has consumed layer 4. basically, layer 3 is the size it should be, but it has scroll bars, and you scroll over and THEN you can see layer 4...uh, don't know what that's about. help!

When y'all say 'layers' you aren't using the layer tag, are you? Please say you are using the div tag.

bear

Examples for whom? Me?

I can't show the work until finished. Anyway, I've gone for Absolute positioning for now (okay for PC, not for Mac unfortunately). Will hopefully change this when I have more time.

Anyone give a good reference for a more advanced DWMX book? Not an application/database one, I have decent ones of them already, just one that delves into these types of problems I have.

Back