Line-in port == Mysterious Critter?

anothertwitch

Registered
Is there some unknown majick to making the line-in port work? I have an old apple mic which works great on the SB16 line-in on my PC, but cant seem to get any input level indication on any of the software I've used (system prefs/sound and audacity, now itv).

surely the line-in on my mac is not defective?!??!!??! its brand spanky new!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Be Well,
James

The old mike was special: special voltage required and special connector with the normal diameter but a special length.

can't you use regular headphones? It should work. At least this was how I made myself a mic without buying one. ;)

Yikes... I'd be a little careful plugging an audio-out source into an audio-in source, like headphones into a mic jack. Aren't there risks with doing something like that?

Lets see if I can make this real simple:

TV Card Audio Out => Mac Line In -- no workie

Ancient APPLE mic works on pc SB16 - does not work when plugged into APPLE line in

If you wish to hear the tv audio, you _must_ patch it back into the audio system (or connect directly to external audio -- now there's a thought)

this is done on the pc via the CD playback audio path (CD vol on mixer controls tv volume)

Basically it sounds to me like my mac line in dont work.

Which sux when you consider I bought it for audio sampling/audio video production.

Some of you say the old mic was special - so where do I get a new one that works? can you point me to any (non-anecdotal) information on this? some board level specs on the line-in socket or some such?

Thanks!
James

Back