Lines on screen & freezes but ok in safe boot

lee_net

Registered
I'm having issues with my intel based G5 Power PC which is running OSX 10.5.6.

When I boot it up lines appear across the screen & the machine freezes. If I boot in Safe mode I do not get this issue.

The OSX has been fully reinstalled & hard drive tested in another mac & all was working fine, but still having the same issue.

Any tips on what else I can try?

safe boot does not load start up items. So if its not happening in safe boot it could possibly be the startup items or login items. Obviously you need to delete those startup items

1. Boot into safe mode
2. Go to system preferences>accounts>Login items Delete everything there
3. Library/Startup items Delete everything here as well
4. check System/Library/Startup items Delete only 3rd party softwares
5. Download Onyx or Main menu and clean system cache, run maintenance scripts and disk permissions :)

Is it an Intel-based iMac or is it a PowerPC iMac G5? There is a difference.

If it's an actual iMac G5 (with the PowerPC G5 processor inside), then try and see if the Apple Store (or an authorized Apple service center) will repair it for you. The iMac G5s had issues with bad capacitors that caused the logic board to fail, and sometimes the power supply as well. Usually, they replace both if they have to. Apple used to have a repair extension program that would allow you to have the parts replaced for free within 3 years of initial purchase, but that program has expired on December 2008. Still, there have been cases where they've fixed them free of charge after the fact.

If it's an Intel-based iMac (with a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processor), then it should still be covered under warranty if you opted for the AppleCare extended warranty. Take it into the above-mentioned places and they will cover those issues. If you only opted for the 1-year warranty that's standard, then depending on the age of the Mac, you might have to pay out-of-pocket for the repairs.

Thanks for that kisuke3. I will give it a try. I had tried main menu prior to erasing the HD & doing a fresh reload to no avail.

nixgeek, it's not an imac it's a mac pro (tower). The machine is under 3 year warranty but I have to send it interstate for the warranty so am trying to do that only as a last resort.

Ah my mistake. Still, a Mac Pro would make it an Intel-based Mac.

It seems as though you might be having issues with the video card. Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test to see if there are any issues with the hardware?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

No probs & yes it is intel based. I should have been more specific. The machine is only around 12months old. :)

Apple Hardware test didn't come back with any issues but I can try again to make sure. I would have thought if it was a video card issue I would have the same issue in safe mode.... so I'm thinking more along the lines of it being something that runs when I do a full start-up conflicting with the video card?

No probs & yes it is intel based. I should have been more specific. The machine is only around 12months old. :)

Apple Hardware test didn't come back with any issues but I can try again to make sure. I would have thought if it was a video card issue I would have the same issue in safe mode.... so I'm thinking more along the lines of it being something that runs when I do a full start-up conflicting with the video card?

Yeah, I just noticed that in the thread title, so my apologies. :D

Still, it is possible that it might be the video card. it might still work just fine because it's not taking advantage of the 3D acceleration under Safe Mode. This had happened to an eMac that I worked on once and the logs showed that it was the video chipset, but on that system it required a logic board replacement since the video chipset was soldered on. Have you tried reseating the video card and reconnecting the video cable to it?

Back