logic board failure program

alexandr

kosmonaut
as my iBook may be liable for the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program,
and this is almost at its end(18th of March) i thought i am gonna go see an apple center tomorrow.

problem is, i have installed the screen expander program to make my iBook support dual screens. will this have voided the warranty, or is this 2 completely separate things? does this program, hack, or whatever you call it, have anything to do with the logic board?

and is there any way to completely remove it from my computer? i once heard it was a firmware-hack, meaning even a clean install woudln't remove. i could always make the program do mirrored mode, but it is a bit far fetched to hope trained apple personell won't notice ;)

alex.

AFAIK, the Open Firmware hack to provide dual display video does nothing permanent to the logic board, except turning on dual-display. You can reset the Open firmware, and should clear that, although unlikely anyone would ever notice if you don't tell them ;)
If you fall under the logic board replacement program, you should get it done. You do have to show symptoms to get the repair:
-Scrambled or distorted video

-Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen

-Intermittent video image

-Video freeze

-Computer starts up to blank screen

Any problems would need to show on both internal and external displays. Even if your displays show different images, the problem would show on both.

actually, the problem is only on my iBook display. no trouble at all with the other one. does this exclude the iBook from the theory of logic board failure???

maybe it is just a bad video-cable? is this a hard fix? alex.

alex.

You could always call Apple, see if they will fix it.

Don't know about Europe. In the US, video cables have to be replaced with the display, Out of warranty repairs with a display replacement ends up costing almost as much as a new iBook...

holy cr**!
they don't have a separate cabel?!? my book is almost 2yrs4months so warranty is out of the question, so is another screen..

guess i'll be buying applecare on my next mac, then..

ale.x

Back