Longhorn vs what's next from Apple

mi5moav

Registered
I was at my friends the other day who is a big time windoze nut. Of course he had a newer build of Longhorn that he got at one of his nerdfests... Probably about 4000 builds newer than what I had downloaded off the net a few months back... Anyway, so as I was playing around with the OS for a few hours there were definitely a lot of cool things behind the screen. The problem was it wears you out. Whenever it's released or whatever it's going to be called it is going to be a beast. I honestly will say that it will probably have 200x the bells and whistles that tiger or cougar if we get that far will have... The thing we have on our side is that we can actually get all this stuff to work simply. The GUI is a complete rip-off of aqua, and its not as good. The jeweled/crystal candy buttons(though some themes have little crystals inside that sparkle) That system really seemed sluggish compared to 10.3. For all those naysayers I will have to agree... I am running 10.3 on a ibook g3 800 with 256mb of ram and he only had an AMD with a 2.0 ghz processor with about 512mb, but it was pathetic. I'm sure it will get a lot better but the preview of 10.0 beta on my old imac was faster.

After the two hours I definitely walked away thinking that MS can do basically anything in the world... there are so many things in longhorn GPS/voicenav/inkinput/language translators/and a bunch of other stuff I had no idea what it does. If they sold longhorn for 500 bucks it would probably be a great deal with all the crap loaded in there but jeez. I really think that the main reason apple's GUI will always win comes down to one simple thing, I've found over the past 20 years. The color white.... they seem to use that more than anyone else... it's their secret ingredient. It's so simple but if you look through all the oses all the websites all the products they have. Every icon, every menu every pinstripe is either white or light. It's natural, its pleasing...its not made up colors and a green neon green lawn.

Dude,
First of all, it helps if you'd use paragraphs. Otherwise the long post is just too dense to wade through. Using a ... just doesn't cut it.
That said, Longhorn is expected out in... 2007? Tiger will have been replaced by then even if Apple really slows down the release of new OSes after this. And who knows what Longhorn will finally have.
Until then, pirate betas are hardly a fair manner to predict what the final product will be like. Still wayyyyyyyy too early to talk about this.

First off I was using dictation so it jumbles garbage up. Secondly, it was not a pirated version of Longhorn. My buddy is a developer and got it at some Wintec conference last month. The whole point of the trash heap was that it really doesn't matter what all the bells and whistles MS puts in it, The Mac OS... 10.5, .6, 9 or X 22 will always be more intuitive, end point. It's complete bloat-ware like my post.

Randman said:
Dude,
First of all, it helps if you'd use paragraphs. Otherwise the long post is just too dense to wade through. Using a ... just doesn't cut it.

I had no problem reading it.

Back