Longhorn won't see the light of day until 2006.

Funny how the article mentions MS push to convince users to move to WinXP. LOL, how has XP been out now? 3 years maybe? I don't see Apple having trouble with getting users to OSX. They did when it first came out, sure. Just shows that Win users can NEVER trust MS. Us Mac users just have the logical lul period then things get back into a smooth grove before you know it. By the time MS has the XP user base it longs for we will all be on PowerMac G6's running OS 11.

Wish this was true, but their are a huge portion of Mac users who will take a long time to migrate to OSX. Namely, the print industry, and a lot of the graphics industry.

I don't think it's just about people not trusting MS, it's the fact that although better, XP essentially is not far removed in appeal to 95! The massive cost of a MS upgrade doesn't help either (come on, why is the Home edition so much!?)

Anyway, as you say Harvestr, we'll all be riding on OS10.999 or 11 (will Apple ever get past the number 10!?)

Harvestr: Like uoba said, there are a lot of Mac users who still haven't switched, like the print industry and in turn the graphics industry. Don't know what the problem is now, as Quark XPress is on OS X, but these things take time.

Also you mention trust. That's not the issue. The issues are price, support and ease of upgrade. OS X has the ease of upgrade in that it preserves settings and accounts, it has support in that Apple chooses not to support anything below current version number, thereby forcing users to upgrade. MS is better in this aspect, supporting previous versions as well.
You mention trust, too. Apple doesn't have my trust. Look at the latest example with the 10.2.8 upgrade (first try). Users lost network connection and stuff...does this create trust? Personally I wait to see if others have problems, if no complaints then I upgrade.

To sum up, I think one important reason XP is selling so badly is because people don't need to upgrade.

Originally posted by uoba
Wish this was true, but their are a huge portion of Mac users who will take a long time to migrate to OSX. Namely, the print industry, and a lot of the graphics industry.

I don't think it's just about people not trusting MS, it's the fact that although better, XP essentially is not far removed in appeal to 95! The massive cost of a MS upgrade doesn't help either (come on, why is the Home edition so much!?)

Anyway, as you say Harvestr, we'll all be riding on OS10.999 or 11 (will Apple ever get past the number 10!?)
The print industry's slowness in upgrading to MacOS X has little to do with trust and nearly everything to do with the fact that mission critical hardware and software may not be supported under the new OS. I'm not in the print industry, but I have similar considerations. With the release of the G5, however, I made the plunge. The situation on the other side is quite different. There are a lot of people over there who are paid lots of money to make that stuff work. Those highly paid IT people don't trust M$. It is standard practice over there to be at least one generation and maybe two generations behind M$'s latest release. The problem has become serious enought that M$ went out and bought Connectix's emulation products. M$ hopes that it can sell Virtual Server as a way to get its customers to buy its new operating systems.

Originally posted by voice-
You mention trust, too. Apple doesn't have my trust. Look at the latest example with the 10.2.8 upgrade (first try).

i do trust apple. i didnt trust microsoft (when i had a pc) and still dont (microsoft office x).

i go ahead and update immediately anythin available from apple. i havent had any problems.

on the other hand, i know many people who dont update their microsoft products until theyre sure that they are safe. for ex. service packs; lots of ppl need them but many hesitate to update immediately, simply because they dont trust microsoft :)

Originally posted by voice-
OS X has the ease of upgrade in that it preserves settings and accounts, it has support in that Apple chooses not to support anything below current version number, thereby forcing users to upgrade. MS is better in this aspect, supporting previous versions as well.

of course Apple wants every1 to upgrade, not only to OS X but in general newer versions of the system, Jaguar, Panther etc...
but i dont think its only that. some apps require technologies which are only available on newer systems, therefore requiring updates. other apps have a close relationship between each other, and so u might need to install one app first and then the other...
...thats what makes os x stable. and windows...well... windows!!!

Voice, don't start on the whole "I don't trust Apple because the initial 10.2.8 release was faulty" thing. Apple released a buggy update, people had problems and complained about it, Apple pulled the update the very same day in response to those complaints and released it a week later, completely fixed. Microsoft doesn't even bother to fix stuff until weeks after people complain about it, and even then they're always releasing new updates that don't necessarily work like they're supposed to.

And I thought Indigo was a piece of home automation software.

BTW, let's get a Mod Wars going here. "Cafe!" "No, A&C!" "No, Cafe!" etc. :D

An English ton(ne) or a metric ton? I'm sure they've got at least that much paper stored up somewhere, with the technical specifications or codebase of Windows printed out on hard copy.

Back