Looking for a bit of advice

powermac

iMac Dual 2.0 17'
I have an G3 beige desktop. I am curious, I want to use it as a web server, not for a profit. What can I do to set it up? For example, what OS, etc?

Just load OS X up on it. It won't run particularly fast, but it will be more than adequate for serving web pages.

And OS X client comes with Apache and PHP built-in, so setup is a relative breeze.

I'm running a dev server on a G3/266 MT w/ 256MB of RAM. It's plenty of power for serving pages and was downright cheap to implement...

Good question, good answer, wrong forum. ;-) Moving this to Apple General...

If you do use OSX, once you have Apache and all that good stuff setup, logout and log in as Console (I think, I don't remember) that'll put you in command line only mode to conserve resources. Someone want to correct me on that?

Originally posted by Lycander
If you do use OSX, once you have Apache and all that good stuff setup, logout and log in as Console (I think, I don't remember) that'll put you in command line only mode to conserve resources. Someone want to correct me on that?

Yep, Finder loves memory. Unlike earlier Mac OS and Windows though, idle processes don't use any processor power

Originally posted by fryke
Good question, good answer, wrong forum. ;-) Moving this to Apple General...

Aw, I'd say it belongs in "The Net: Web Development" ;)

One thing to remember is that Apache will run with no real set-up needed. But services such as php, cgi, shtml or mysql are not configured to run when you turn on the system.

You can find most of the advice on how to configure those services on this Web site in the How-to section.

My PowerBook is a G3/400 and it runs Apache just fine. An older G3 system can handle it. Look into running the system in console mode for just a wee bit more speed.

Back