lost OS

cj@studymanutd.

Registered
While I'm here I may as well add this problem i have with my iMac 17" flat screen.
I have mistaking put a powerbookG4 install bundle pack in the machine when I attempted to restore the hard drive after a spring clean.
This resulted in the "This can not be installed on this computer!" message. Tried to restart hoping that the computer would return to the lovingly desktop but found it needs to finish the installation. Ouch i thought. Spent 24 frantic hrs looking for the correct opperating system. Found the correct operating system "Software Install and restore disc" thought lovely. Restarted the computer crossing my fingers that it wouldnt do a complete restore..... worse. Whilst pressing the "C" button the computer wirled to life with its DVD spining happily. The half eaten apple appeared and the wirly circle started to spin. Then FROZE! with a horrible broken black and white static looking bar running across the center of the screen. It did nothing else. So I restarted and tried again. Same thing happened, with exactly the same bar in exactly the same pattern. I gave up when the computer displayed the message "hold down the power button to restart". I ejected the disc and started it without the restore pack. The little smily file appeared and the question mark flash back and forth. So i put the PBG4 disc back in and it started to do the install again. So there is something there. just not my beloved desktop. Hope you can help

CJ

Unfortunately, I suspect your beloved desktop may well be history.

First reset your PMU following the instructions for your particular PowerBook model found in Apple Knowledge Base article 14449. That should reset pretty much all the circuitry in the PowerBook. Insert the first Software Restore CD and boot while holding down the Option key, that should show all bootable OS X versions on the system including both the Optical and Hard drive. Hopefully you will be able to reboot from the Software Restore CD at this point.

I would run Disk Utility to check the file system on the HD before attempting a restore, just to be certain the file system has not been irreparably damaged in the process. If it has, you will need to erase the drive before attempting the re-installation. :(

Sorry, It has taken a while to get back. Was in a car accident. Now recovered and ready to go.
Had a go at the PRAM reset and still getting the same response. Would it be a disk problem? It is a bit worst for wear. If it is a disc problem, is there anywhere I can get hold of another copy?
(praying) Please say yes, please say yes

Back