Mac faster than PC?

arden,

Hide your entire desktop if you have no windows open? Just minimize the main window to the task bar.

Personally I dislike how most all windows in OSX are seperate floating windows. I'll admit I'm clumsy and often click outside the window by accident and lose focus on the current app.

Expose isn't even out yet.

Lycander, Arden meant that in Windows there is Parent buttons (outside of window) and Child buttons (inside of window.

In Word, if you close child button, you'll see gray background.

Mac don't have parent or child buttons. So when you close Word window, but the program running at full screen, you can see the desktop.

I like the Mac's way of doing that.

Right. I really don't see the use of having a big gray nothingness whenever I close all the windows of an application. On Mac, I close all the windows and I can click on the desktop to do something else. On PC, I close all the windows and I have to minimize the application to get to anything else.

I like how quickly IE starts up on Windows (since it's kind of a part of the OS), but I don't like how each browser window is basically a separate application.

Actually I myself cant stand that when you close an application window, that you can see the dekstop because it looks like the application is closed at a glance when it really is open. This is more of an issue if someone else is also using the computer. Also the taskbar in windows works better than what OS9 has for showing you whats running at a glance...instead of going to the finder to get the list.

As for IE. I think its kind of good that each is a separate task. If lets say you go to a site that keeps issuing popup windows, you can just kill the process for that website without having to kill IE for all the other open pages.

I dont know I guess its what ever people are familiar with.

Originally posted by contoursvt
Also the taskbar in windows works better than what OS9 has for showing you whats running at a glance...instead of going to the finder to get the list.
Yeah, but OS 9 is slowly fading into the background. Besides, you don't need to switch to the Finder to access the Applications Menu. I wish OS X had an equivalent menu because I'm so used to it.

I actually like not having some thing spanning the length of my screen sitting at the bottom of the page. Even if they're hidden, the Dock and the Taskbar still pop up when you move the cursor to the bottom of the screen. It's nice having the extra screen space.

Originally posted by robmcq

In Word, if you close child button, you'll see gray background.

Mac don't have parent or child buttons. So when you close Word window, but the program running at full screen, you can see the desktop.

I like the Mac's way of doing that.

Robmcq is right!!! I hate that gray background!!!

Ok in Word it might be annoying but lets look at another example: Photoshop. In Windows there's that ugly grey background you guys seem to dislike. I find it helpful because it makes me feel like my workspace is all encompassed in this one app. I am not distracted by whatever else I have going on in the background nor do I get distracted by my desktop bg image. Sure, I can resize the document I'm working on to fill the screen. But then when I use COMMAND +/- to zoom, it auto resizes the window. This does not happen in the Windows version of Photoshop.

I apologize if I led this conversation astray. Obviously different people like things done differently. Someone once explained to me that drag and drop is a big conveinence feature in MacOS, hence seperate windows for everything, and that I can agree on, except I dislike drag and drop :)

Well, you can enable or disable automatic window resizing in Photoshop's preferences, if it gets to you. Or use the magnifier tool. Or the navigation palette.

How do you dislike drag and drop? You can save a JPEG in Photoshop, then drop it on your Explorer—excuse me, Safari—icon and it will open right up. You don't need to open up the browser, then use the Open command or drag the icon into the browser window, if you don't want to. I'm not sure how "separate windows" relates to drag and drop, though. Explain?

"Seperate windows" relates to drag and drop in the sense that content is in a seperate container and this allows the user to see the desktop or other windows (even from other apps) below this container and be able to drag and drop to and from windows even for different running apps. I dislike drag and drop because I dislike using the mouse. Obviously I have to use the mouse once in a while but at least in other OSes I have the option to do all UI navigation via keyboard.

A few years ago, I had a computer desk with a metal rim around the edge. When I went to sit down and grab the mouse, my elbow touched the metal rim and I discharged static onto the mouse. The mouse became very hot and when Windows finished booting my mouse no longer worked. So I went a whole day using keyboard only. Was able to do every I needed to do, email, surf the web, etc.

Cmd-Tab to switch programs...
Cmd-Tilde to switch windows...
Arrows to go to different icons...
Cmd-Left to disclose triangles, Cmd-Rt to close them...
Cmd-O to open, Cmd-W to close, Cmd-Q to quit...
12-15 programmable function keys for executing common functions...
Cmd-F to search...
Cmd-I for Info, Cmd-Opt-I for Inspector, to change settings...

I'd say the Mac is very navigable via keyboard, though some menu commands don't have shortcuts.

If you dislike using mice, maybe you should get a trackball.

Actually I did get a track ball but that's not what I meant. What I mean is, the act of having to move a cursor and click in a particular area. With keyboard navigation there's no need for any precision.

And some of those keyboard shortcuts you listed are inconsistent in some apps. For example: sometimes COMMAND + arrow key will be the equivalent of Home and End, other times I have to use the Fn key on my iBook, on a full size Apple keyboard same deal. It gets difficult when I want to select an entire line of text, on the iBook sometimes COMMAND + right arrow will select the whole line, sometimes I have to use Fn+Right arrow to activate the End key. There are other little nuisances like that. But I just installed YellowDogLinux on my iBook so that should do me good for a while :)

Or, you could get a touchscreen... for your iBook... um, a portable one.....

Never mind.

You know what it is? I'm a damned picky person and a big whiner (thank god I spelled that right :p). I whine a lot in these forums, hope you all realize I'm not doing it to pick on the Mac.

I like a lot of Apple based things:

- Christina Applegate
- Apple pie
- Apple cider
- Apple scented shampoo
- Candy apple
- Apple sauce
- Dried apples

Oh you mean the company

- Apple notebooks are the best in their class even if they're not the fastest.

- iTunes music store. They have stuff I couldn't find on other similar services.

- Apple Pro speakers, lotsa power in something that small!

- iPod, I love it to death and it doubles as a portable hard drive.

Would love to see titanium wrist watches with the Apple style!!!

But Apple notebooks often are the fastest. No dispute on the quality, though. Naturally.

Of course apple laptops are the fastest. I'm sure that a 3.0Ghz P4 laptop with a 533Mhz bus and integrated Radeon 9000 is just too slow to compete. Ya that must be it or did we not think a 3Ghz laptop existed?

Oh wait, Mhz myth right.... clock for clock its considerably slower. Too bad its 3x the clockspeed so it more than makes up for its inefficient design ;)

Back