Mac Mail Help

carreragt1990

Registered
Hi, I'm a new mac user and I'm trying to link my Hotmail account to Mail, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've used the httpmail plugin, however, after I installed it and activated it my mail wasn't coming through. I recently heard that Microsoft was changing their hotmail protocol or whatever that mumbo jumbo is, and could that be the reason why my mail is not coming in?

=(

Hello carreragt1990 & welcome :)

If your Hotmail account is a relatively newish one, and by newish I'm not able to say exactly when Microsoft made this change, but if it's about 4 odd years old, then this is why you can't link it to Mail.app. It's only the old Hotmail accounts that work with HTTPMail Plugin.

There is also a chance that you didn't configure the settings properly too .... my HTTPMail Plugin works fine with only the oldest of my 2 Hotmail accts.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter? It's been a while since I set mine up but you need to follow the instructions very carefully, and the only way to uninstall the plugin is to follow the instructions on the installation manual ... I think the uninstall procedure is right at the very end of that document.

Are you using Tiger or Leopard? I'm pretty sure the Leopard version is working but I'm still using Tiger. The version I have installed is Version 1.49 ...

Okay well I'm a leopard OS X user and my hotmail account i think is about 5 years old so im not really sure why its not working i've had it for a long time. i followed the instructions and looked at the images and it still isn't working, im not sure whats wrong.

Had you seen this, carreragt1990:

The Death of Hotmail for Mail.app users and a new solution

My hotmail account, the one that works with HTTPMail, is much older than 5 yrs, I can't say exactly when things changed but the newer accounts needed to be upgraded before the plugin worked.

Some recommend Gmail over Hotmail and my Gmail account mail comes to my Mail.app inbox too, so there are choices ... other than this, I can't say why you're having problems ... I recall I needed a few tries to get it right when I was trying to enable the plugin ...

Do you have the HTTPMail folder in:

YourUserAccount ~> Library ~> Mail

Back