Mac OS X 10.2.1 as fast as Mac OS 9?

Mac OS X 10.2.1 as fast as Mac OS 9.2.2?

• YESS!! Sure!

• NO! Mac OS X 10.2 still can be much faster!

• Dunnow

Results are only viewable after voting.
On the same hardware it'll never be as fast as OS 9 IMO. There's just too much more going on in the system for that to happen.

With something as complicated as Mac OS X, there's always optimizations to be made. Look how long it took Apple to optimize the Classic OS :)

It'll no doubt get somewhat faster, but won't every be as fast as OS 9 on the same hardware.

Ask the same question in Feb. 2003 to get X.2 faster than Classic. I'm waiting until then to get on Jag.

I noticed a significant speed increase after fresh-installing jag and then repairing priveleges on my iBook 500. It is now quite possibly as fast as it was when running OS 9.

So long I only use Carbon apps my overall efficiency is about the same with MacOS and OS X. I would say better with OS X because it's stable.

Interesting... my tibook has only crashed 3 times in the two months I have had it. Each time when running a sh**y classic app.

The other consideration is time to task. Who the hell cares how fast a CPU is when doing html and web graphics. It is the time it takes the human to do a task. Honestly I don't recall the last time I was waiting... like I was on my 7100. The X human interaction standards are by far the best out there, bar none.

Two bottlenecks:

CPU bottleneck

human-computer bottleneck

Which one wastes more of your time in a given day? I would say the human-computer bottleneck does. This is true with Mac OS X, but even more so with Windows.

BTW is there a point to Flash? I only use it to view stupid internet cartoons. When a web site has a flash front-end I usually go elsewhere.

Try new things? Uuuh. Whatever happened to content? You know, information, perhaps even useful information?

Oh by all means make it "frickin' cool" so I know which web sites to avoid.

Originally posted by strobe
Try new things? Uuuh. Whatever happened to content? You know, information, perhaps even useful information?

Oh by all means make it "frickin' cool" so I know which web sites to avoid.

Hey I think I read someplace about the new Apple iColon... perhaps something that should go with it is the iEnima...

So like, useful information? What would that be? How to operate on your spouse and avoid the hospital bills? There's this word in the dictionary--FUN--look it up.

Here's a site I'm sure you'll enjoy... it's flash free and it's chock full of information:

http://www.dransom.com/

Don't forget to tell all your invisible friends!

Ta,

me

Back