Mac OS X 10.3.4 soon?

I really don't think that it's the updating process that blows the batteries. Rather it's _running_ Mac OS X after such a 'bad' update. However: The original PB 12" had a change in the Mac OS X 10.3.2 code that some think badly about. This should _not_ have killed the battery, rather - in Apple's opinion - it shouldn't get so hot as before, because the fan comes on at lower temperatures. You should still get more than 2 hours out of a 'good' battery.

So: Another OS X update quite clearly won't solve your problem. The battery is, as others and myself have said, dead. I'd go to a store and try out a different battery. Maybe they just let you do that. And if it IS the battery, which I think is clear, you could still decide whether you want to replace yours with a new one.

hmmm, don't remember whether I changed the battery after another update or not... in fact, I think it was after the 2.4 that things went south and I changed the battery after 2.6...

oh that mid-term memory :(

I'm not going to change the battery as a matter of principal - what the hell for - all that'll happen is that it'll give me way worse than promised performance for a few months and then die on me over night. No thank you :) I'll just use it near an outlet until Apple sort the problem out - perhaps in the next PB rev? I hope so. Otherwise I'll be switching back to an iBook at best or a Centrino at worst.
C

Oh - and another thing - when checking the capacity using ioreg -l | grep Capa
I get this:
| | | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=19911,"Amperage"=1526,"Current"=19801,"Voltage"=11316,"Flags"=4})
Now that's just weird. This is one of the reasons I'm thinking it might (just might be!) be a SW problem - somethings got the registry all mucked up and it just doesn't know how long / much to charge the battery any more ... or the SW had screwed it up which in turn lead to bad charging habits of the PB and that in turn killed the battery off faster than it should have ... in which case its a HW problem caused by a SW problem. Only speculation though ... I might never find out for sure what happened. But like I've said before, I'm not the only one with this problem, so I'm not imagining things, exaggerating or lying and hopefully Apple will be able to find out what's causing it and solve it ASAP ;D - or am I just a deluded dreamer?
C

To my best recall people said the screw-up was at a chip on the battery itself, though it seems a little strange to me and I didn't take the old battery apart to find it. Fryke, are you sure the problem was in the software itself and not the battery?

Still, it is probably a good idea to hold off with any new battery till it is sorted out. Lousy desktop though, but at least you can put on an external monitor.

Okay. There was _one_ problem with iBook batteries and 10.2.x (don't remember which one). The software 'killed' the battery's chip.

And then there was 10.3.2, which changed at which temperature PB 12"'s would turn their fan on.

Back