Mac OS X 10.4.10 released!

Got it already. Easy update (although 2 restarts). Nothing major, but a lot of bud fixes & "tweaks". Nothing new.

Has there ever been a .10 update before? I don't remember one.
No, this is the first time Apple has ever spat in the face of simple math. And I am not pleased. :p

I don't recall Apple ever saying something like this before:
You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
It makes sense, but I wonder if there's a specific reason for them saying so now. I hope it doesn't really break compatibility with lots of add-ons. I'll wait it out a few days and see what the reports are.

I thought so. I've just spent the last week getting all 45 of my Macs up to date, and they spring this on me. I was really looking forward to kicking back for a couple of days.

I just installed it on my Mac Pro, seems OK so far. The 'unexpected results' warning is certainly new, I guess it refers to look-and-feel mods etc, and also people like my previous employer (UK national newspaper) who re-wrote OS X (it took about 30 people two years) to enable a roaming-profile type of system. You'd have to pretty dumb to try and install 'vanilla' software update on that though.

No, this is the first time Apple has ever spat in the face of simple math.

But you _do_ get that a number with *two* points is _not_ a decimal number, right? 10.4.9. 10.4.10. No problem. We could have 10.4.147 and it'd still be higher than 10.4.9. Also: Ever heard of IP addresses? 192.168.4.155 is higher than 192.168.4.40, btw. ;)

But you _do_ get that a number with *two* points is _not_ a decimal number, right? 10.4.9. 10.4.10. No problem. We could have 10.4.147 and it'd still be higher than 10.4.9. Also: Ever heard of IP addresses? 192.168.4.155 is higher than 192.168.4.40, btw. ;)

I get and reject it. :) The extra points are just there for readability, I say! As for IP addresses, those aren't even pronounced as decimals, and before human-readable base-10 conversion, they actually function as decimals anyway. I've always preferred notation with leading zeroes, which is perfectly legit, technologically.

In any case, the disconnect will lead to confusion, so it's not desirable. I think Apple has always agreed, but with the Leopard scheduling snafu they had no choice.

I remember believing Snak (an IRC client) was dead for a about half a year and that the web site had reverted to an old version, since I had 4.8 and 4.1 (er, "4.10") was all that was available online. 4.8 > 4.10000000....

And before you say it: Dolby is just innumerate. ;)

Apple is now in the company of Microsoft, AOL, and Real Media. Need I say more?

(This post could use more smilies, but dammit, they'd just look stupid in such large numbers! :))

I wouldn't have mentioned Dolby. That's just ridiculous. ;) ... However, I still have to point out: Two points equals *non*decimal. No way about it. What would you have suggested instead? 10.4.9.1? 10.4.9a? All unacceptable in my opinion. It's the tenth update to Tiger. 10.4.10. Easy. Much easier to agree on than that the full version should read "Mac OS ten, ten point 4 point ten" aloud, though. I'm still saying "eks" for the first X. ;)

Could be a coincidence but im unable to send webcam on aMSN since updating (connection times out. Not tested receiving webcam).
If anyone else can test to see if they can thatd be great.

Could be a coincidence but im unable to send webcam on aMSN since updating (connection times out. Not tested receiving webcam).
If anyone else can test to see if they can thatd be great.

Try repairing permissions from within Disk Utility.

As for me, I just updated today to 10.4.10 using the Combo Updater and so far everything seems OK. I did notice a Security Update in Software Update right after I did the 10.4.10 Update (update update update... :p). Don't know if that Security Update was post 10.4.10 or not.

What about the software that fails to run with an error...
something like this...
"requires OS X 10.3 or later",
this tells me that someone other than me thinks this looks like 10.4.1.

jb.

I guess those software devs didn't think different enough then and have to revisit their code...

Back