Mac OS X 10.4.4 released...

Uh-oh, with this update PowerLogix's CPU Director 2.3b1 no longer works. No more L2 Cache on my iForce upgrade until PowerLogix updates Director. Had to reinstall Panther and re-upgrade to Tiger 10.4. Bummer.

I just upgraded my mouse on my PC. I was selecting between Logitech
G7 and MX1000. MX1000 has MacOSX support from Logitech, but G7
seemed better (and I use the mouse pad on my PowerBook; when the
pad works...). When I tested it on 10.4.3, it did not work, but on
10.4.4 it works.

Well, I finally updated using the Combo Updater I downloaded. Going to put it on a CD so my sister can update her iBook G4 if I see her this weekend. I also need to download 10.3.9 for my father's Power Mac G5.

Feels much snappier than before....or could that have been from repairing permissions?? :p

So far, my iMac G5 is A-OK. :cool:

Attachments

• iMacG5-1044.jpg
    iMacG5-1044.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8
Check this out. I noticed that the Get Info section changed a bit. Now the "architecture" section (which either said "PowerPC" or "PowerPC, Intel" in 10.4.3) has been removed and next to the "Kind: Application" is either "Universal" for a universal binary or "PowerPC" for a PPC application.

Attachments

• GetInfo.jpg
    GetInfo.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 13
nixgeek said:
Check this out. I noticed that the Get Info section changed a bit. Now the "architecture" section (which either said "PowerPC" or "PowerPC, Intel" in 10.4.3) has been removed and next to the "Kind: Application" is either "Universal" for a universal binary or "PowerPC" for a PPC application.
I noticed that too. I think this new format is much better, and easier to find too.

Nope, not easier than before, because before, in column view, you saw it without even opening the info-panel. Now you have to get-info for any app you want to check. Before, you just selected it and the info was already there.

Now that I didn't notice in 10.4.3.

But yes, the system feels MUCH snappier than before. Like you said, even the wavy effect from dropping a widget doesn't sputter like before.

Seems like the people reporting the best speed improvements are using systems with CoreImage-capable graphics cards. On my Mac Mini, I've noticed no difference. I guess that means Apple's been optimizing the hell out of their more advanced GPU stuff.

Man, I wish I had a better video card now...

I wonder, is Quartz 2D Extreme enabled now? Anyone who has a CoreImage-capable card and has the developer tools installed can check by loading Quartz Debug. IIRC, it was completely inaccessible in 10.4.3 (but I'm not totally sure since my machine wouldn't support it anyway).

Well PowerLogix just updated CPU Director for my 500 MHz upgrade card so finally I could install 10.4.4 and it rocks so hard I had to slow down my mouse and keyboard settings. Then again, I was coming all the way from 10.4...

Anyway it seems that absolutely everything is working perfectly in Tiger now under Xpostfacto.

Quartz 2D Extreme is still disabled by default. according to the quartz Debugger, nothing has changed there since 10.4.0

Back