Mac OS X 10.4.7 released.

You all wrote that the grey apple screen, at boot takes up to 10 mins! That suprises me, when I re-booted it took maybe 10 seconds...
Everything works fine though.
Btw, I only have an iBook, so it didnt go so fast cause of the processor...

Ferdinand

I updated the iBook 1.4Ghz from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 (Combo)

Safari seems fine - What is Saft? Why should I disable it?

Going to do the G4 Quicksilver later...

If you haven't installed Saft yourself: No need to bother. It's a third party hack to extend Safari's features. And with every OS X update, it kinda breaks or slows down Safari until an update is available. Defenders claim these problems have long been solved. 10.4.7 just proved them wrong, then. :)

Thanks!

Just done the Quicksilver 933MHz

Download was slow, as it was last night on the iBook about 50% of the normal 2 meg speed I usually get.

A brief timetable:

0 min - Download finishes. Click "Install".

5 min - Hit "Restart". Black screen.

5m 45s - grey Apple screen.

8 min - rotor starts on grey screen.

9m 30s - Restart. Black screen.

9m 45s - grey Apple screen with rotor appearing almost immediately.

11 min - Mac OSX startup box on blue screen.

11m 30s - Box disappears and there is just a blue screen...

12 min - Finder starts to load (phew!) - this was a lot quicker than last night on the iBook.

12m 30s - Computer up and running. :)

I finished the update. My previous system was 10.4.6, and I'm on a G4 Mac Mini.

After restarting, it waited a few minutes on the gray screen, then it restarted again. After that, startup was normal and speedy until I came to my login screen (note: by default, there is no login screen on single-user systems). After entering my password, the default blue desktop background stayed on the screen for another minute or two.

All in all, the reboot process took about 7 minutes.

PithHelmet doesn't want to run with this version of Safari, but I edited its plist to make PH accept it, and it seems to work just fine. I expect an official update very soon.

Is this new?

I was connected to a Linux Webserver via Finder ftp while I was doing a search using Finder Search. I was not trying to search the remote server but it did.

It also works using a WebDAV connection but the ftp connection for some reason seems faster.

Maybe this has been available for a long time but I never thought to search the web server user the Finder Search.

Sure depends on how quick you FTP connection to that server would be, I guess... :) (Still wish they'd have full FTP read and write and set permissions etc. in Finder.)

Well, in general the WebDAV connections seem to be faster than ftp and they are read/write. I don't get why the ftp search would be faster than WebDAV, maybe I need to test some more.

Read/write is nice because I can create a Photoshop image and save it directly from Photoshop to the server without starting up Interarchy or Transmit. If I'm planning on a long script editing session though I'll normally do it via Interarchy though using a WebDAV connection. That may change because it seems that the WebDAV speed has improved in the last couple updates to the O/S.

Now a save from BBEdit direct to server only takes a second or two when there used to be a noticeable lag. The client (Interarchy or Transmit) buffered it so it wasn't noticeable.

updated via software update w/out a hitch, then it updated qt. i wonder why it couldn't do both at the same time? any way, didn't notice how long it took to reboot because its on a kvm, and i was on the other computer playing with vista.

QT is never part of OS X software updates. Rather, they seem to link QT to iTunes now. I believe the last few releases of QT always were on the same day (or one day off) of an iTunes release. Today, Apple also updated iTunes to 6.0.5.

Those who used the Delta updater for Intel based Macs should probably download and run the update again. The revised update doesn't show up in Software Update yet.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1047intel.html

Build 8J235a.

Apple Product Security said:
APPLE-SA-2006-06-29 Mac OS X v10.4.7 package revision

Mac OS X v10.4.7 was released on Tuesday of this week. The install
package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system is being
revised. The revision is to provide several files related to OpenGL
performance that were missing.

Only the package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system to
Mac OS X v10.4.7 (Intel) is being changed. All other Mac OS X
v10.4.7 install packages remain unchanged.

The change being made to the install package does not affect the
security fixes provided in the package.

The new package is named: MacOSXUpd10.4.7Intel.dmg
It's SHA-1 digest is: 10aa57dfccd63accb0939a894cea202a8910fb45

This message is signed with Apple's Product Security PGP key,
and details are available at:
http://www.apple.com/support/security/pgp/

After 15 years with a PC and coming to Macs it is quite humiliating. I have no idea what most of you are talking about :-(
So I have two questions.
After reading this thread I downloaded the combo update and installed that. I am glad I read it first becuase the long reboot time (both) would have made me worry and reach for the rum. However no problems.
In the download list are two files. the 10.4.7 and the 10.4.7. combo. What is the difference? I chose the combo file as that is what you are talking about.
I also downloaded the iWeb 1.1.1 update which would not install via software update and that installed fine as well. Why is that?
Thanks to all you guys who know stuff!

The "Combo" updater will update ANY version of 10.4, while the regular updater will only work on 10.4.6.

This basically means that the Combo updater contains all the files that have been changed in ANY update since 10.4.0. This is good even if you have 10.4.6, because it means that if any previously-updated files got altered in some way, you'll get fresh copies by running the Combo updater. This means less risk of problems.

There's also a third way of updating, which is from OS X's built-in Software Update. This will download even less than the non-combo updater, because it will only download the files you need on your machine. So if you have an iMac, it won't download updated drivers for the MacBook's trackpad or anything like that. The problem is that occasionally Apple seems to screw these up and it doesn't download everything it should. :(

Sound complicated? Well, in theory you shouldn't need to worry about it, and any method you use should "just work" — and this is even true in practice 99% or so of the time. But nobody wants to be in that 1% with the big myserious problems; so we recommend playing it safe and using the Combo updater.

As for iWeb, I've never used it, so I don't know enough details to say.

The "Combo" update carries all the updates from the original v10.4 so it will upgrade that and any intermediate versions. The v10.4.7 upgrade will only work if you have already got v10.4.6.

Both should work - the combo versions have been (historically and anecdotally!!) more reliable.

Has anyone had any problems with Safari 2.0.4? Sometimes if I change to another app then go back to Safari the menu will return to normal but all Safari windows will remain inactive, like they're in the background. The only way to fix it then is to quit the program and start again.

Veljo said:
Has anyone had any problems with Safari 2.0.4? Sometimes if I change to another app then go back to Safari the menu will return to normal but all Safari windows will remain inactive, like they're in the background. The only way to fix it then is to quit the program and start again.

This was talked about on other sites. Your problems have to do with third party plugins. I am have not such problem on my G5 or G4.

Satcomer said:
This was talked about on other sites. Your problems have to do with third party plugins. I am have not such problem on my G5 or G4.
I don't have any third party plug-ins installed :confused:

Well, after being gone on vacation for about a week at Ft. Myers Beach (which was WONDERFUL, btw :D), I just updated from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 through Software Update and all is well. I even noticed that my iMac G5 was much snappier than before, loading applications in one or two bounces as opposed to a bit longer from before at 10.4.6. No complaints as of yet on anything else.

I also received the Vista Beta that I ordered. Going to see how that compares to OS X (yes, I am aware this is beta but it's still Windows :p).

I feel that I've put everything through the paces, more or less, and I've had no problems at all. I haven't noticed any improvements, either, though.

The only difference I've noticed is that now there's some invisible process called dashboardadvisoryd that tries to connect to Apple's web site. I don't know what it does or why it activates at seemingly random times.

Mikuro said:
I feel that I've put everything through the paces, more or less, and I've had no problems at all. I haven't noticed any improvements, either, though.

The only difference I've noticed is that now there's some invisible process called dashboardadvisoryd that tries to connect to Apple's web site. I don't know what it does or why it activates at seemingly random times.

Don't want to be the bringer of conspiracy theories, but could this be DAshboard phoning home? :confused: Then again, it could be a widget that you have enabled that needs to access the Apple web site.

Back