Mac Os X Frustration

DREWNOX

Registered
I'm no computer expert but I usually am able to set up my software or system to function and usually dont have any problems. Ever since I have intalled Tiger, half the things don't work. When I installed I did a clean installation as my hard drive had to be replaced. Anyway I cant get any quicktime movies to play. Any real player, WMV or anything else for that matter. Its not the end of the world as all my actual "work" software performs great. Its just frustrating that whenever I get an email with a clip or want to check out a trailer it never works. I installed Quicktime right off the apple website and it wont even play trailers off the quicktime site?!? I researched this and was given a couple things to try but to no avail. Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

For WMV, go to the Microsoft website and download and install Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac. For those other files, click on a sample file, do File/Get Info. From the Open with: popup menu, select the QuickTime Player.

to Supertyphoon:

WMP for mac is nothing like wmp for windows. it is a player in the strictest sense of the word, none of the bloated shit in the windows version. it also means it's next to useless.

Check Flip4Mac plugin for Quicktime. It enables QT to handle many WMP files. Unfortunately Microsoft is addicted to inventing and propogating proprietary formats and not releasing codecs compatible with Macs. That way they can get addicted WMP fans to buy a PC and Windows instead of a Mac.

Lt Major Burns said:
to Supertyphoon:

WMP for mac is nothing like wmp for windows. it is a player in the strictest sense of the word, none of the bloated shit in the windows version. it also means it's next to useless.

lol. I think wmp is pretty useless, except for it's colorful music animations. Other than that i strictly use it as a player (i use VLC too) and don't use all of it's other crap, which is crap. I guess it's like quicktime for windows, stripped to the bare minimum and not as compatible. But there are plenty of better players out there than qt and wmp.

VLC won't play everything, but it comes in handy.

Google VLC. It's free.Also try MPlayer.

Doug

Back