mac os x network/internet/print sharing via linksys router

RLK1010

Registered
I have a mac mini with a canon printer connected via firewire. The mac mini connects to the internet wirelessly via a linksys router. I just got a macbook pro and connect to the internet the same way as i do with the mac mini (wirelessly via the linksys router) however I cannot print to the canon from the macbook without changing the currently connected network at the top right of the screen on the laptop. In other words how to I remain connected to the internet(linksys router) and simulatenously access the mac mini's shared printer -- currently I have to switch to the computer to computer network between the mac mini and macbook to get the macbook to see the printer as a "connected" choice in the list of printers. When you connect to this network you loose accesss to the internet. Is there a different way I should have set this up or is it just a switch in the os x that i haven;t activated? sorry for the lengthy explanation, Thanks in advance.
RLK

So let me repeat what you've said so I can understand correctly:

The mini and macbook are both wirelessly connected to the Linksys router for internet access.

The mini has created a computer-to-computer network in order to share the printer, and when the macbook connects to the mini it loses internet access.

Is there any reason you haven't enabled printer sharing on the Mini? I would say disable the computer to computer network altogether and share the printer out on the subnet associated with the Linksys router.

I agree.. just share the printer on the Mini - the Macbook should see the share printer without having to create a computer to computer network. I do this at my house.

However, a computer to computer network will kill the primary network. All the name resolution/dhcp etc done by the router will ALSO be done by the mini to support connection computers creating conflicts. Especially when trying to route packets between the two.

Back