Macintosh HD is sometimes read-only?

dgill

Registered
My main (root?) directory was set to read-only for awhile, and I don't know why. I created several folders there recently, then could not modify them for several days. Now, it's read/write again.

Any ideas?

sounds like time to boot from your OSX install CD and run the fix permissions operation in disk utility (from the drop down menu on the installer)

Apple's 10.2.3 update correctly set the permissions for the root directory to read+write for the owner (root), read only for the group (admin) and others. But if you downloaded, for example, the Quicktime 6.1 update, it set the permissions back to read+write for group, which causes sendmail to throw a wobbly.

Probably other Apple updates would do the same.

It looks like repair permissions also does this, but I don't know what would happen if you just loaded the 10.2.3 update and then ran repair permissions (ie before allowing the Quicktime update to change them yet again).

Most Apple Software Updates render / group writable (maybe world, I don't remember). They chose user non-outfreakedness over security in thhis instance. Since I use sendmail as a local relay (loopback only) and like reasonable security, I added a chmod line to the init script. Software update only breaks my permissions until the next reboot. Of course, unless the update requires a reboot, I ussually do it manually.

Back