macupdate.com gives away. :)

fryke

Staff member
Mod
No, I'm not affiliated with them. But this is too good not to report. We usually push users to www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com when they're looking for free-/shareware as well as updates to their software applications (so they're not constantly bugging the forum about things they easily could find themselves). And while both sites offer great free services anyway, their paid service is even better, of course.
macupdate.com now (in January) offers free one-year memberships. Get one if you ain't got one already. They let you set up a list with your favourite apps, which is superb, because you'll always know when they're updated. Can't turn off the ads as such a free member, though. Still better than not having a login.

I got mine! MacTracker Desktop (or whatever their update-tracking software is) is just too handy. You can find out which of your applications are out-of-date with a simple glance and double-clicking is all you need to download the latest updater.

Nice freebie for the new year! If I like it as much in December as I do now in January, they may just get $20 out of me for next year's subscription!

I am horribly disappointed to see a member of administration status using this board to spam us all. The aforementioned member must be arrested immediately! ;)

VERY spiffy. Thanks for notifying us!

Really, I'm sorry. ;) ... It's just that back when versiontracker.com went "pay", I switched to macupdate.com - only to find them go "pay" shortly afterwards. Since I personally believe these are very, very good services that should be ad-ware rather than pay-ware, I'm glad to report things like this today... I think it's a win-win. macupdate.com gets some press and users (and ad-money) and maybe even some paying users when 2006 ends, but WE get free good service for a year.

MacUpdate is hands down the best site of its kind. I cringe everytime I go to VersionTracker.com - so ugly! Plus, I've chatted a few times with the guys who run MacUpdate, and they're friendly and very responsive (my apps are listed on their site).

Too bad you can't get rid of the ads with the free membership. I agree tho, macupdate is the best hands down.

While we are on this topic, I should mention that anyone with a .mac account can get a free Versiontracker Plus account (a service) or a discount on Versiontracker Pro (service and app)

(just putting it out there)

Back