Mail.app hates me :(

Timotheos

Registered
I allways seem to get errors when using mail.

I love the application to bits. When its working I dont ever have to worry about checking my webmail manualy, its just arrives on my computer and its simple to read and write emails. But Im allways having problems with it.

The one featured in the attachment I added is really worrying me and I have no idea what the error means.

I allways have to force quit mail. When I get the error that I attached an image for, mail barely ever actually manages to quit so I have to force quit. And alot of the time when I mail-> quit or apple+Q, mail doesnt manage to quit.

And alot of the time when I open mail after having to force quit, one of my old email accounts shows up again.

I have 2 accounts, one which is a hotmail one, I downloaded the httpmail pluggin and I have a Gmail account also.

It looks like the error I attached is related specificly towards my hotmail account, but I never got this error until I added my Gmail account recently.

If someone can help me out or even point me in the right direction of a decent email application I would be greatful.
I tried thundebird, but I couldnt seem to get webmail working, it seemed like a great application but the stress involved in setting up the hotmail account infuriated me and I thought... well if its taken me this long to set it up, I would have saved time just to check my mail on the web.

Im running 10.3.9 on a pBook g4

Attachments

• mail_error.jpg
    mail_error.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 18
I have over a dozen accounts on various domains and Mail works flawlessly. I think your problem relates to the fact that you are accessing webmail accounts. As you've discovered, Mail will tolerate one but not two. You'll probably have to select which one you'll continue to use with Mail and use the other purely via webmail.

There may, of course, be a workaround but don't hold your breath. Try changing the order in which Mail accesses the accounts.

I think the error is related to MAIL not closing the account properly. So the next time it is access the account is still open, so duplicate access, so this message.

I have problems sometimes with mail not closing properly and this is caused by an account not being available smoothly). If the account is not available at all, no problem, but if the connection requires a lot of time, MAIL does not like that and tends to hang MAIL.

So if e.g. GMAIL is sometimes not smootly available, MAIL hangs and a FORCE quit will not close the other account neatly, causing next time the error.

Good luck, Kees

aaaah, thanks for de-crypting the error.

You would think software companys would make these error messages understandable to more than 0.00001% of the user base.

So it doesnt sound like theres much I can do to fix the issue?

maybe that a bit more patience could help... (?)
probably Mail is just sitting there waiting for a network connection to finish,
if that never happens the connection should just time-out after a while.

however, most modern software use asynchronous connections that don't hang tha app,
so i guess it's the (3rd party!) httpmail plugin who's hanging on a synchronous connection (taking Mail down with it). using force-quit could make things even wors (corrupt files etc..)

and i'm not an apple-disciple, but i guess you can't blame them for errors caused by plugins written by others..
maybe contact the developer of the plugin? or file a bugreport?

I can't resist anymore - I tried, but I have wanted to say this from day one.

I hate mail.app :(

One of the reasons is the problem you chronicle, it won't let me be a quadrophrenic.

I use the now-discontinued Eudora. It checks all my accounts - including multiple gmail and other webmail accounts flawlessly. It allows me to choose who I prefer to reveal myself as, even whon using the same account. I can set up many personalities to make the proper impression in business and in pleasure. (The Sybl in me loves this feature ;^) ).

Eudora is dead, Long Live Eudora!

I hate mail.app :(

Been using Eudora for years with no problems.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] An open source version of Eudora® is being developed by Mozilla and will be free of charge.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I tried that when I tried thunderbird. I could only find a classic version download? Maybe I didnt look hard enough? The version I downloaded was full of adverts etc. They allready know people hate spam... then they come an put adverts all over your account? good idea.

If there is another version off it that works well I would love to give it a try!

Back