mail.app won't send!

neuby

Registered
Ok, this is a bizarre one! Mail refuses to send - claiming that it timed out trying to contact the server on port 25. The thing is, is that I manage my own mail server, and it is functioning normally. I can even send mail and mail.app will recieve it, but it won't send outgoing. Both my pop and smtp server are the same machine/application. (SIMS)

I have restarted both the server machine, and my own, and no joy.

-stumped.

Did it work before? What os are you using? Do you have other wan pop addresses that you can test?
Would moving the com.apple.mail.plist out of the home/Library/Preferences folder help?

Zammy-Sam said:
Did it work before? What os are you using? Do you have other wan pop addresses that you can test?
Would moving the com.apple.mail.plist out of the home/Library/Preferences folder help?

Hmmm - tried that. It didn't help. The mail was moved to a 'delivered' folder, when a new outbox was created. I opened up the messages and re-sent them. Same thing, they just timed out 'trying to connect' on port 25. I lost all my other accounts (my wife, has a couple of accounts on this computer too - they and all their emails went away with the removal of the plist - sort of freaked me out for a second!)

I am at a loss.

The computer is making a connection to the net - obviously - I am using it now.

The mail program IS finding my email server - as it is freely downloading new mail.

That server and program is running and appears to be normal.

They just are not connecting via smtp - only via pop.

PS - I have the identical machine to you - Tibook that is.

Your firewall is blocking the connection. Usually that's the reason when there is a timout with port 25. Here's what they say on the Apple Mail help page :

"Make sure there is no firewall software blocking email traffic on port 25. A firewall works by selectively blocking network traffic. Mac OS X has a built-in firewall, which you turn on and off using the Sharing pane of System Preferences. Open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click Firewall. Make sure your firewall is off."

Here's the link for more information : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151528

JMV - turns out that my ISP was blocking port 25 - they insisted we use their outgoing mail server. Would have been nice if they actually informed us of that first!

Thanks for your response though!

Now I have a problem myself, my ISP blocked my port 25 without any noticed. While I was trying multiple solutions, I backed up my Mail folder : ~user/Library/Mail, but now when I copy it back they say that the messages were not downloaded from the server. That I have to connect to my account to download them.

I know they are still hiding somewhere because the Mail folder is 113 Mo and that's the same size it was when I made a backup the first place.

Is there a special way of impoting a backuped Mail folder?

Back