Mail Backup?

If you want easy - get a .Mac account and use the included Backup application to backup your Mail - simple as a checkbox.

To manually do it, mail is stored in your home/library/mail folder.

TWRayer said:
If you want easy - get a .Mac account and use the included Backup application to backup your Mail - simple as a checkbox.

To manually do it, mail is stored in your home/library/mail folder.

I've got to second that - if you've got a .mac account and use the combination of isync to sync your address book contacts and the new backup 2.0.1 to backup the mail folders and folder contents to a CD or DVD, it works really well.

I had to use this procedure a couple of weeks ago after giving up and formatting my drive for a completely clean 10.3 install. I was nervous about the performance of backup, but it pleasantly surprised me - all of my mail folders, accounts and folder contents were brought back with no trouble - and a re-run of isync brought my local address book right back up to speed.

But, your mileage may vary.

cgp314 said:
Hello,

Is there an easy way to back up my email in Mail.app? I can't see to find where mail is storing everything
The messages themselves are contained in your home folder ~/Library/Mail. Some of the other settings in your home folder ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist.

Having said that, I agree that Backup and .MAC is the easiest and probably most secure way to backup your mail account(s).

I've got over 400meg of email, .Mac is far from practical.

Use the advice from the post previous to this one; copy the Mail folder & preferences to cd / dvd / mo / wax drum / granite plinth .. whatever...

Back