Making an internal mac HD into an external PC device

renoxcore

Registered
Okay, so last year my ibook was on its last legs and to kill it off I dropped it on the screen (by accident of course!) and I was given a quote for a new screen that almost matched what i payed for it in the first place so naturally I turned it down and my mac has been sat doing nothing for ages.

ANYWAY! I really want to revive the work thats still on my mac's hard drive but i'm running completely on PC these days. So, if i were to rip my mac apart and pull out the hard drive could I put it in an ordinary enclosure and use it with my PC? Or is there another way to get my work onto my PC from my mac's hard drive without a monitor? lol.

Hope that all makes sense and thanks for the help!!

Reno

Its also worth pointing out that you may not need to take your Mac apart. You can boot it while holding the T button to put it into Firewire Target Disk Mode. Then, connect a firewire cable between your Mac and another computer and the Mac will appear as an external hard drive - however if you're using a Windows PC to read the drive you'll need to follow the instructions that Satcomer provided.

Back