Max out G4 with RAM

gollum84

goonies never say die
My PowerMac G4 has 1.75GB of Ram in it right now and I was considering to max it out with Ram to its maximum of 2GB. If I do this, will there be an significant increase in performance or will it be just nice to know that my Mac has the full amount of Ram it can handle?

If you were at only 256 MB, I'd say go for it and drop at least another 256 MB in. But since you're already at 1.75 GB, you aren't going to see very much difference (unless you do personal online banking ;)). After a gigabyte, adding more RAM has a lot lower effect than when you're relatively low.

What are you going to use the computer for?

I seriously doubt you'll see any difference in 1.75 and 2gb of ram unless you're really big into high-end graphics/video/audio. Even then it wouldn't be a huge difference.

Most of the time I am using graphics programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver and in a month or two I'll be buying Maya. If I do put in more ram I'll have to buy a 512MB stick and take out the 256MB stick that came with my computer.

I don't think it'll make a big enough difference to justify. 1.75gb is alot of ram and should be more than enough for what you want to do.

It's really a personal call you'll have to make. If you can get a good deal on it and you want it, then go for it.

Back