Memory Slots in iBook G4

mdmalin

Registered
I am thinking about upgrading my two week old iBook G4's memory. It is the 12 inch, 1.2Ghz model. I had originally intended to buy a 256 MB RAM upgrade from crucial.com, but am not entirely sure what I need.

The website says this about my computer:

"The amount of total memory slots in your Apple iBook (G4 1.2GHz) is 1 (1 bank of 1)."

Does that mean that if I buy a 256MB RAM stick, I will not be able to add it to my existing RAM? I have seen posts here where people say some iBooks come with RAM hardwired in.

I guess my question is, do I need it all on one stick, or can 2 sticks of 256MB fit in my laptop?

Here's the crucial.com page, by the way. Scroll to the bottom portion to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...ple&cat=RAM&model=iBook+(G4+1.2GHz)&submit=Go

well i helped my friend upgrade his ibook expect it was the model before yours, he got his in june of 04. Anyways, the ibook you have has two RAM slots one is already filled with the 256MB stick. Which means you have an open slot that will fit the following a 256MB stick, 512MB and a whopping 1 gig RAM. If you go with the gig you've maxed out the ibook, but with 1.25 gigs of RAM your ibook will be faster then a speeding bullet. but yea you can put another 256MB and have 512 MB of RAM if you want too. Whatever is cheap for you and fits your bugdet hope this helps.

You have 1 RAM slot for expansion and a soldered in 256 MB stick. You can use PC2100 DDR266 200 pin SO-DIMM or PC2700 DDR333 200 pin SO-DIMM. I would go with the less expensive since you will not benefit from the 2700 (i.e., the iBook will downclock it to the speed of the 2100). You can put 1 GB in the available slot and end up with 1.25 GB. I recommend RAM from Outpost.com. I use generic, but many will have nothing but name brand. To each his/her own. Check out the installation instructions here.

I do prefer name brand memory - nothing too fancy - corsair value select from newegg. $80 for 512 or there about...I've got 768 mb in my iBook 1.2...it runs great.

Now if it only had a bigger hard drive.....100 gigs would be nice

Steve

Back