Memory Usage Getter 2.0 is out!

SimX:

I saw your post regarding your suspicion that it IS AppleScript (and the fact that you do NOT need me to send you the test info).

I reverted to AppleScript 1.8.1 (thanks for the tip on Pacifict -- that application rocks!!).

Incidentally, I also reinstalled Script Editor because for some reason the 10.1.3 upgrade didn't bind (or whatever you call it) the app properly it appears as a folder "Script Editor" with an interior "Contents" and "Resources" subfolders. Yet, even after the re-install the folder is still visible. Weird. How do I fix this? Any ideas? I even tried Pacifists pre-binding folder thing and it didn't seem to do anything.

Now, regarding the AppleScript error, I can confirm that your app is not compatible with 1.8.2 as we suspected. Once I reverted back to 1.8.1 I didn't get the same errors!! BUT(!) I did get ONE AppleScript error (integer thing again) followed by the app quiting -- and then the following error log in Console (see below). But I have not gotten the error (or application quit) again. (Perhaps this is the error you referred to earlier if you have IE open (which I obviously do now)).

It works fine for me... Just my CPU guage has both bars at Max when running the app - but does not slow my computer down at all. (I still can't get over that! Being originally from the PC world - Max out the CPUs and it does not crash! lol)

Not a big deal, but I'd only run it for a few moments...

Correction...
Something was maxing out my CPUs even after quitting the app... I went into the terminal and ran TOP, saw that True Blue Environment was using up 150% of CPU, so I killed it and everything went back to normal...

I reran your app again and CPU process was normal - never maxing my CPUs out this time around...

Weird... I'll take note to see if it happens again.

Tormente: Yes, I know about this problem, and it's going to be fixed with MUG 2.0.1. With MUG 2.0, normally it takes between 15-20% of the CPU even when idle, because the progress bars are moving. I have a build which tells them all to stop, and it uses absolutely 0% of the CPU when idle (which is ideal). This build still hogs the CPU when refreshing (something which I can't control), but it's a much nicer program when idle. I might also be adding the ability to control what goes in the "Other User Processes" pane in 2.0.1, so look out for it.

The one thing I'm not particularly fond of in AppleScript Studio is all these things that I can't control. The CPU hogging I can't control, and the unexpected quits when IE or OW is open is beyond my control, too. I'm hoping that when Apple next updates the developer tools, they'll fix these problems in AppleScript Studio. We'll see. I'm going to see if my latest builds do the same thing, and maybe I might be able to track down the problem.

GadgetLover: About the Script Editor appearing as a folder thing, I believe there are 2 ways to fix this. First is "Package First Aid", a Classic application that Apple included on OS 9 install CDs... just insert your CD and it should be under the CD Extras or something; it might even be installed on your OS 9 partition too. Just drag the Script Editor folder over this app and it should fix it (if it doesn't immediately, log out and log in again). The other thing you can do is go into your preferences folder (~/Library/Preferences), and delete the "LSApplications", "LSClamiedTypes", and "LSSchemes" files. These just monitor what is appearing as an application with bundle types, and these will be recreated when you restart/relogin. This should fix the problem too.

Actually...
I can no longer replicate the problem... Memory Usage Getter is now acting nice... What % of CPU it's using now I don't really know - but I do know it's not maxing out my CPUs anymore! :)

I've even rebooted the computer a couple of times and can not get it to Max out my CPUs or even come close to it (well, when it's reading data that's different, at idle with app open I mean)...

Maybe it was something else I may have had going on that triggered it - but I have yet to replicate it.

Hrm.

GadgetLover: AppleScript 1.8.2b1 is indeed causing the problem with my script, but it's actually not as bad as I thought. I was making some incorrect code that generated the weird errors, but text items DO work correctly in AppleScript 1.8.2b1. But MUG 2.0 won't yet.

Yet. :) I already have a build that should work with AppleScript 1.8.2b1, and just as soon as I finish adding a couple things, I'll release it. It also finally REALLY fixes the "Can't make 'failure' into an integer." bug, I hope.

Back