MENSA Intelligence Test

nixgeek

Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
Hey all. I thought I would post this for kicks. I saw it on digg.com and my wife and I thought we would give it a try.

http://www.mensa-test.com/

Give it a go and see how you do. No time limits at all, but please be honest and post your results (if you want to).

Me: 23/33
Wifey: 29/33

(Yes, I know my wife is smarter than me.....but then again she DID marry me. :p ::ha::)

I think a better gauge of one's intelligence would be the "workout" on Mensa's official site http://www.mensa.org

... After taking that test, the site said I would have a "good chance" of passing Mensa's test.

lol this thing on the other hand.... This looks HARD! But I'll give it a go.

Ufff, I must be stupid.
Am stucked at 9 and I was surprised how tough it was by now. I am giving it up now. *sniff*

Edit, found two more! :D

ACtually, this morning I found out that one of the ones I answered and it told me was wrong was in fact correct. It's the one that says "100 C of a E." My wife told me that she found the answers and it was exactly what I typed in, but for some reason the page didn't like what I typed. Go figure....my 23 should actually be a 24. :rolleyes:

I didn't get one that said "100 C of a E", though I did get "100 C in a D" (100 cents in a dollar). Are they randomizing the questions?

Managed to find 21 so far, but I'm out of time (have an appointment).

Let's put it this way, a lot of Hollywood stars and even Paris Hilton are apparently Mensa members, so don't put too much stock into these kinds of supposed tests.

Well, I just put it up for kicks. It was fun to do. :p

As for the questions, I'm not sure. I don't think they are since I loaded them up in two separate browsers (the page was giving me some problems). I think there might be something screwy with the coding since it wouldn't always take my answers that were correct, and then all of a sudden it would. Strange. :p

Btw, I dare to say it really has nothing to do with intelligence but a lot with general knowlegde. For a non-american and non-christian quite hopeless..
Or am I just trying to justify my bad score? ;)

I'm on 30 out of 33 right now, and am going insane trying to figure out the last three!

At the moment, I haven't got the answers for numbers: 10, 28, and 30.

Nah, it's definitely skewed a bit Zammy. Not a good test of intelligence either IMO. Some people are really good at this kind of thing, others just plain suck at it. A lot of it depends on your education background (are you more into math and science, or english and history, etc.) and possibly even sheer luck.

As far as the coding...the correct answers disappearing are on purpose. If you accidently answer wrong and go back and fix something (say misspell a word), then it'll still count it right but show the error kind of grayed out (happened to me with the Fahrenheit). If it is correct, it clears the box and lightens the border around the box.

About the answers disappearing, that I knew. Actually, it would change the red hightlight to a green highlight and dim out the box.

However, when I had the correct answer in the box it didn't switch it. I later found out that the one I had answered wrong (according to the test) was in fact correct (according to the answers for said test on the MENSA site that my wife found).

Esquilinho said:
Well, I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not a christian so I only got 6 right! :D
Not a Christian?!? Then you must be...unintelligent! :rolleyes:

Caution: Comments on the test ahead. I try to keep the spoilers light, but nevertheless, you might want to skip it if you haven't given the test your best try yet. You have been warned.

Most of the ones I didn't get I really had no chance in hell of getting, because I'd never heard the phrases/facts before in my life. That's always a problem with this kind of thing. Even after reading the answers, I have no idea what one of them means (the last one). The most it really proves is that my knowledge of sports and religions I have no interest in is — surprise, surprise — not very complete! ;)

It's a neat idea, but any test that relies so heavily on arbitrary knowledge can't really be considered an intelligence test. And I sense a liiiittle bias when there are three questions about the Bible! Sheesh. Especially since anyone who gets one will probably get all three.

I don't think it's biased much towards Americans, though. I see one question I wouldn't expect a non-American to make the connection with, but I see several that I wouldn't expect an American to get. There's a particular sport name they use that simply isn't used in America, and there are other sports that most Americans just wouldn't be familiar with.

And now for some entries of my own design, guaranteed to be biased!

361 P on a F-S G B
4 N T of B
8 B in a B
20 P for each P in S
114 S in the Q

There. Replace 5 of the BS items from the test with those BS items, and I'm firmly in Genius territory! :) (Although I'm not sure I'd have gotten that last one if I'd seen it on the test, to be honest. But I had to put it there.)

Esquilinho said:
Err... not wanting to start a religious discussion here, but... what is that supposed to mean???
Darn those vague smilies! :) To be clear: I was mocking the people who designed the test for acting as if familiarity with one particular religion equates in any way to intelligence. I was NOT mocking you, or any religion(s)!

Mikuro said:
Darn those vague smilies! :) To be clear: I was mocking the people who designed the test for acting as if familiarity with one particular religion equates in any way to intelligence. I was NOT mocking you, or any religion(s)!

Ah! fiuuu! ;)

Woohoo, I got 33/33 (without cheating or assistance) in the end after coming back from a meeting at work. :)

It was going to annoy me if I had to give up yesterday! I'm not really sure it genuinely tests intelligence, although it could do in some ways and not in others.

I thought there was a bit of a bias towards Americans, but then again some other questions would have seemed to me to be harder for Americans. As for the "Christian questions," I'm not really convinced they are biased towards Christians, as I doubt believers would know the relevant answers off the top of their heads anyway; I think they were a bit more "general knowledge"-like. Non-native English speakers will, in my opinion, have a much harder time with this quiz, to be fair. I think any language barriers will be by far the largest obstacle.

Retiring with honour at 29 (though have to admit that 9 P in S A was a total lager-inspired fluke).
This test is definitely skewed away from patagonian agnostics.

Mikuro, I got 8 B in a B, and that scared me off even contemplating the rest. Technospeak baffles me. On second thoughts, a quick try wouldn't hurt, would it?

Back