Michael Dell...

Eventually the hosts asks him if slapping together standard components is really innovating. He sort of dances around it while claiming that it is innovation....

but what really kills me:
1. When he points to things like switches and other non-PC products to show how Dell is an innovator (something along the lines of "look we can slap together many things! we are an innovator!" :D )

2. To make the point that Dell *is* an innovator, he states that Dell has over 700 patents! :D I almost fell off my chair! A company as large as dell has a measly 700 patents! There are people (a very few to be fair) where I work that individually have more patents than Dell! HAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, Dell is an ingenious company. Their online business model has been copied by just about everyone in the industry, including Apple.

They are currently the only computer company that has been able to stay in the black during the technology fallout and U.S. economic downturn.

The way Dell revolutionized mass customization operations is studied in many higher level business courses, namely micro economics and managerial accounting.

While the end product, a PC, may not seem that impressive, the channels in which Dell goes through to build PCs today is quite revolutionary.

Dell is the Walmart of computer companies. Excellently managed, brilliantly organized, and doing very, very well. Who wouldn't want to be Mr. Dell or one of Mr. Walton's son's?

Then again, who goes to buy a quality piece of equipment from Walmart? These companies thrive on "good enough," which is fine, unless you want more than good enough.

I've owned a Dell, I use Dells on campus, my friends own Dells. They're just what you expect them to be, which is pretty good. You get what you pay for. I wanted more -- I bought a Mac.

I could not have said that better myseld jeb1138. (but I actually like the off brand Wal-Mart soda better:) )

Actually, Dell is an ingenious company. Their online business model has been copied by just about everyone in the industry, including Apple.

I actually agree with this. I also think that Microsoft has much to say in terms of marketing innovation (and yes MS has some technological innovation to take credit for too).

However, the question in the interview (and Dell's answer as well) was oriented around technological innovation, not business model innovation.

I think Dell should simply admit that they are not a technology innovator. And that's okay.

The truth is this industry needs Dell (or someone like them), and it needs Apple (or someone like them) and it needs Microsoft (or someone like them). These companies each brings something different and valuable to the industry. Dell puts downward pressure on prices (until they become a monopoly). Microsoft creates a widely accepted "standard". Apple pushes the industry in technology, ease of use, etc.

In other words...they all keep each other "honest".

:D

You fail to realize the technology that went behind their online business model.

You keep focusing on one PC. Forget about that one PC and think about what it took to get millions of Dell PCs in homes and businesses around the world.

That in itself is an amazing technological feat.

Also, to call Dell the "Wal-Mart" of computer companies is simply ridiculous and ignorant.

You refer to the quality of their machines as if there was a problem. Dell has the higest customer satisfaction rating of any computer company, including Apple.

They didn't achive this by building crappy machines. Sure, if you want more, buy a Mac. You'll get shiny plastic and a one button mouse. The upside is you get OS X but the downside is it cost you $1000 more.

Honestly, technology-wise there is little difference between a Mac and PC other than the OS. They use the same video cards, HDs, memory (to some extent), sound, etc, etc ,etc.

I wouldn't go as far as point the troll finger at itanium, I think there are some valid points hiding in there somewhere.

Dell is not an innovator. They have a great business model and more than likely use someone else's business software to intergrate their networks and streamline their inventory.

Their desktop lines are innovative for their design, not their technology. Dell does not come up with their own technology, they just slap their logo onto it.

When Dell came out with Switches, they didn't make them, Bay Networks did. They may tweak some of the hardware to make it their own, but I haven't seen it in a way that would change the industry (not like the way Apple does with each new product).

I don't want to bad mouth Dell, they are a great company and if I need a PC Dell will be the one I get. I just hate it when some new sources spend too much time stroking the PC companies and slapping Apple...

You fail to realize the technology that went behind their online business model.

Perhaps. But that is not what the question/answer were about.

Again. I credit Dell where credit is due.

Honestly, technology-wise there is little difference between a Mac and PC other than the OS. They use the same video cards, HDs, memory (to some extent), sound, etc, etc ,etc.

Perhaps also true. But Dell has not created any of these technologies. Dell assembles machines, albiet very efficiently and effectively.

Ironic in this is that Apple appears to actually manufacture very few of its own machines.

Apple is almost more of an interesting mix of technology/engineering/software/marketing company.

Often the comparison of Apple to Dell is patently unfair (to both). As is a direct comparision between Apple and Microsoft.

Still, all of this is funny. I just thought it funny for Dell to defend its technological innovation.

Hey! Bubbajim, I didn't say "troll" anywhere (or at least not after I edited the post! :D). Bait isn't for trolls alone.

It's been a while since I went off on something, and this seems fun so...:D
Dell does have a great business model, and it's their own doing for the most part. One example: inventory! From Businessweek:
"What's Dell's secret? How has the computer maker managed to defy the naysayers and turn a classically low-margin mail-order operation into a high-profit, high-service business that's the envy of the industry? In a word: speed. Dell has long been a model of just-in-time manufacturing, but now it has upped the ante by applying the same brutal time standard to its supply chain--insisting, for example, that the bulk of its components be warehoused within 15 minutes of a Dell factory."

An accounting friend of mine recently told me that in order to become a supplier for Dell a company has to locate its warehouse in Austin, Texas. Wow, what a setup! Dell gets your money before your computer has even begun to be built, and doesn't have to keep hardly any inventory on-hand because its suppliers are all a short drive away! Contrast this to other computer retailers -- they have to build the computer first, then they ship a load of computers to CompUSA, or wherever, and often have to wait for CompUSA to sell the computer before getting their money. Of course, Dell has to do a better job of marketing, since their computers aren't on display in computer stores, but they appear to have done a very good job.

The PC industry does look like it's heading toward total commoditization (is that a word?) but Apple is an exception to that rule, or at least is trying to be. A PC is a PC is a PC is NOT a Mac. For example:
1. Mac's run a totally different operating system. (Linux on PC's doesn't count and won't until it's really usable for normal users!)
2. A Mac is the only consumer personal computer left whose makers can change the OS to integrate with the hardware, or vice versa.
3. Apple promotes and goes along with industry (and often open) standards instead of trying to make everything proprietary.
4. Apple seems to be the only company that thinks that form should follow function and that computer hardware shouldn't be ugly! We expect good cars to look slick, even though it's the engine that really matters. Why not computers?
5. OS X is better (warning!! opinion!) that Windows, and that makes Mac hardware better, in one sense, than PC hardware because it can run OS X.

Dell is the Walmart of computer companies. They are the behemoth that moves their industry. They have provided low prices and commoditization for the masses. Their products don't stink, they're actually pretty good. They're not the best however, and, like Walmart, they don't innovate (much).

Originally posted by jeb1138
4. Apple seems to be the only company that thinks that form should follow function and that computer hardware shouldn't be ugly!
Puck mouse anybody?:p

All I have to say is…
Dude, you're gettin' a DULL!

Originally posted by MDLarson
Puck mouse anybody?:p

:p Hey did you guys know that Sun Microsystems had a puck mouse before apple did?? It was three-buttoned and everything! And about twice as big! Have there been other puck mice?

Sun also had (still has?) volume keys just like the Apple Pro keyboard before Apple did. Same icons too! Neat, huh? :D

Now this is a work of art! :p (from this mouse site)
mouse1-1.jpg

And check out this video clip. (from the same site)

"I don't know why we call it a mouse. Sometimes I apologize -- it started that way and we never did change it." :D

Wow ... what a cool pic. It reminds me of my old early-eighties Honeywell mouse with the two angled wheels instead of a ball. It wasn't as precise, but it was much more resistant to gunk. (Okay ... now I'm going off on a tangent)

Frankly, I admire Dell for their business innovation. Their business model has helped keep their costs down and let them put together better systems for the money. They do a very good job of keeping their customers happy and have a high satisfaction rate.

And, I admire Apple for their technological innovation, and their daring style and function innovations. That has sometimes meant they've made a few odd or unweildly things, like the puck mouse, and some items the market just wasn't ready for, like the Newton or Cube. That they are willing to take risks, and try and change the direction of the industry, is a quality to be admired.

I agree with cculia: comparing Apple to Dell is unfair to both. They both do what they do really well, they just do very different things.

Ummm I love the puck mouse. I don't need more than 1 button, that *IS* the functionality of Apple's OS! Doesn't anyone see that? It's the simplicity of it that makes it functiuonal, less confusing, easy to use! Why doesn't anyone realize this? You wuite simply don't need more than one button on your mouse to operate your computer.
The puck mouse fits my hand perfectly. It is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.
As for Dell, I will give them credit for their business model as many others here have already done, but technologically, they have very little credit due. Can anyone here even name *one* important technological thing Dell invented?
I do think that some people give Apple a bit more credit than they deserve for innovation. What Apple really seems to do best is take experimental or practically unknown technology and bring it to the mainstream in an easy-to-use and improved format. They give their technology functional elegance and make it accesable to everyone. They keep with industry standards or create their own standard and open it to the industry (firewire, rendezvous) rather than createing their own arcane proprietary technology that nobody else can utilize but themselves (ala Micro$oft). They still do a good share of their own innovation, don't get me wrong here, but sometimes I think even Apple gets more credit than they deserve.

Back