Microsoft to tweak Office for Macs

As I understand it, Entourage is Mac only. The Windows equivalent is Outlook.

Sorry for the confusion, but that's what I meant. AFAIK it's exactly the same program really (except for the name) ... isn't it?

That's exactly the topic of this thread, Cat. :)

Entourage will finally get MS Exchange support (the one missing feature from MS Outlook on the PC). I think it would be perfectly valid to rename Entourage as Outlook now that it's the real thing. Erh, will be...

Office for Mac kicks the cheese out of the Windows counterparts

No it doesn't. Word X is possibly better than Word XP, PowerPoint X is certainly better than PowerPoint XP, but Entourage is worst than Outlook (no Exchange, as already said) and Excel X is definitely poorer than Excel XP.
And there is no Access X.
And Office X has never been translated into italian.

Mind you, the missing features of Entourage and Excel aren't of any importance to soho users, but they are the death of Macs inside great corporations... Macs have already been pushed into design/pr offices, but give them some more time without ODBC, Exchange server notifications, Pivot Table refreshing from Access databases... my point is well thought: after two years of marketing work with an iMac CRT, I'll be switched to a Compaq in 4 months. Wonder why?

Because Office XP is better than Office X.
And its in italian, too.

Your signature says I must upgrade my TiBook to a new 'book, dracolich... I have 12 (MHz) less processor than RAM (MB). Erhm... :)

Back on topic: Entourage WILL get Exchange support. Now, my guess is that Office 11 for the Mac will try and be as compatible to Office 11 for Windows. But let's see. Guess we can measure Microsoft's willingness to support the Macintosh platform with that release. Hopefully we won't have to wait half a year after the Windows version is released. (A newer beta of Office 11 for Windows will be out soon, while there have only been rumours about a Mac version.)

Just to weigh in on th email client debate, neither Mail nor Entourage are any good at handling large volumes of archived messages. SLOW window redraws, scrolling etc. And the fact that all of my attachments are IN my database drives me nuts. Whatever happened to just choosing an attachments folder? The databases get bloated and sluggish in no time.

Anyway, I recently switched to Powermail. Have an attachments folder. Never been happier.

Back