Migration Assistant from Firewire Drive (copied not cloned)

halfgreek

Registered
I need some help with a mistake I made.

Before installing Tiger, I "copied" (using an app called databackup) my data to my external firewire drive instead of "cloning" my drive. I then did an "erase and install" on my computer. Then I went to use Migration Assistant and it doesn't recognize my firewire as a volume.

Facts:
- I can browse to all my files on the firewire through finder. I has my firewire mounted.
- I have my "copied" files all in a directory on my firewire drive marked as "archive".

What can I do to get Migration Assistant to use the contents of this directory ("firewire/archive") as a basis for its migration to the new system?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know anything about DataBackUp. Can't you just restore the files from the firewire using this app. It might put some things in the wrong places, but you should be able to straighten things out. And, are you really talking about data only. If so, then you could just copy your data to where your want them on your internal. If you are talking about preferences, settings, etc., then that is another story. Hopefully DataBackUp will take care of these things for you. Otherwise, you'll have to get them out of your archive, presumably using DataBackUp, and put them where they go.

Migration Assistant will only migrate files that reside on a true, bootable Mac OS X volume -- like from another computer over FireWire, or from an external drive that contains a bootable Mac OS X volume (like one with backup data from a program like Carbon Copy Cloner).

Migration Assistant is there to "migrate" data from one system to another, not from a backup to a boot drive.

I think you're stuck doing this one manually.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Migration Assistant will only migrate files that reside on a true, bootable Mac OS X volume -- like from another computer over FireWire, or from an external drive that contains a bootable Mac OS X volume (like one with backup data from a program like Carbon Copy Cloner).

Migration Assistant is there to "migrate" data from one system to another, not from a backup to a boot drive.

I think you're stuck doing this one manually.

That is what I was affraid of. Thanks for the help.

Back