Missing Documents Folder

untz

Registered
When I tried to make an alias for my Documents folder (so I could drag the alias onto the Desktop), my original Documents folder is now empty... :mad:

Is there anything I could do to have it revert back to its contents?

All the best,

Unnsse

Also, when I booted up Microsoft Entourage, all of my e-mails were deleted along with my accounts :(!

Obviously there was a config file that resided in Documents that was used by Entourage...

Is there any way to remedy this?

Also, has anyone been successful at configuring Hotmail on Thunderbird (Mozilla)?

I can't believe that I am in this predictament after trying to just make a Desktop alias of the Documents folder...

Please help!

Wow, that's strange. Have you tried some of the normal troubleshooting techniques, like repairing permissions, repairing the hard drive in Disk Utility, rebooting the computer?

I don't know how to use Disk Utility and also I did try rebooting the computer... Of course, I looked in the Trash, and it wasn't there. If you delete something from the command prompt, does it still go to Trash on the Desktop? Also, where does it go actually in the hard drive?

I just reconfigured everything.....

All the best,

untz said:
If you delete something from the command prompt, does it still go to Trash on the Desktop? Also, where does it go actually in the hard drive?
Nope... If you "rm <file>" a file, it's immediately gone.

If you want to instead move it to the Trash (a'la the finder) then instead "mv <file> ~/.Trash/<file>".

Then it will show up in the Trash.

;)

Just exactly how did you "...tried to make an alias for my Documents folder (so I could drag the alias onto the Desktop)?"

And for Disk Utility, go to your application folder, then Utility, Disk Utility, select your volume and click on repair disk permissions...

Yep, what the perfessor said.

Also, you could simply drag the documents folder into your dock and it'll serve as an alias without the desktop clutter. Drag files to it and it'll move to the folder, or open the folder with a simple doubleclick.

If you, instead of making an alias, accidentally moved your Documents folder, you can just move it back. But it sounds like you really deleted it. And yes, Entourage (and some other applications) have their documents in Documents. (Mail.app has its mail in your Library folder.)

If you moved the Documents folder to the Desktop instead of making an alias on the Desktop (which is quite simple to do), then OS X may have re-created an empty Documents folder inside your user folder (where you normally expect the Documents folder to be).

Your original documents should still be somewhere on your drive, if you did not delete them either via the Terminal (command-line) or via OS X's gui (dragging them to the trash/hitting 'Command-Delete').

Back