Motorola PowerPC 7457

I was under the assumption that the PowerPC 970 is going to be using similar if not compatible technology to that which will be going into the PS3 in 2005.

Wouldn't this bring the price tag of said processor down to desktop standards?

As for 64 bit... Windows 3.11 users didn't think we needed 32bit Applications. System 6 users didn't think we needed to go from 24 bit to 32 bit. We don't know lies ahead once we go 64 bit. Perhaps now we can finally see a transformation in the UI beyond what we could expect. Remember System 6 and Windows 3.11's idea of a desktop?

64 bits could do wonders to the UI not to mention video editing, mpeg2 encoding, mpeg2 decoding, and 32bit x86 emulation.

That was the 'Cell' processor that is being used for the PS3. Its based on the same design theory but its a different processor.

I agree with you woeye, keeping customers in the dark if they are willing to buy can be tough but most don't do that. The non-disclosure thing, ya know? I understand what you mean, but they have to make sure they don't annouce too early to give compeditors an edge on development there, that's all.

I agree with you Fryke on the Mac vs. PC thing. I thought we were just talking Motorola and IBM choices, and a flame war gets ready to start. I'm not gonna bother going that route. I just hope that we get a scalable processor and a company who will develop it, not let it sit on the shelf, that's all I was pointing out. Also here is a quote I found from the article on Arstechnica about Power consumption...

'As you can see from the table, the 970 at 1.8 GHz is much closer to the G4e than to the P4 2.8 GHz in terms of power dissipation. This means that Apple will be able to use this chip in the kinds of innovative enclosure designs that make their hardware continually appealing, regardless of how it performs. Furthermore, a 1U, 970-based version of the XServe is not out of the question. And if you consider the fact that the 970's power consumption at 1.2GHz is a mere 19W, it's almost certain that we'll see a future notebook from Apple based on the new chip.'

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html

But like I said we never know. We'll have to just wait and see. I wish they wouldn't say it like that... like you said Apple hasn't commited to this chip.

Im sorry but you can huff and puff all you want but fryke and all you guys who are hailing the G4 are just wrong.

I don't care if it is 1.8 Ghz G4. I don't care if the G4 will be faster. It's running 32 bit apps faster. That doesn't do me any good.

I'd much rather have a 1.5 Ghz 970 running 64 bit apps. Before any of you say "well what good will it be when all you need is 32bit"

That's not true. We don't even know what the 64 bit world will offer us. We are talking twice the abilities that was available. You can run a car at a million miles an hour but it still won't do a hill of beans compared to a genuine Airplane. This is what we're talking about in the differences between 32 and 64 bit capabilities. We' are on the verge of a new revolution in desktop computing here. The next big thing. The next killer App is around the corner. Do you want to be stuck in 32 bit land forever? I know I don't. I don't care about hte speed. I care about the power.

We open the door to: better encryption technology, easier video encoding and decoding, 3D integrated into the UI. This would not happen over night but it would be much easier to do this with a 64 bit processor than a 32 bit processor. I know it doesn't mean faster processing but it could mean bigger processing at the hands of the general public.... maybe even better voice recognition or synthezying finally.

Back