mouse not responding

hajonides1

Registered
Hi,

Just installed OSXserver 10.2 on a beige G3 and upgraded to 10.2.3.
After restarting the mouse didn't respond anymore (just normal adb mouse & keyboard). It's attached via the keyboard and that's behaving normally. Tried another mouse, but still no reaction.
Any ideas?

Han

Any other USB devices attached? Disconnect everything but the keyboard and mouse and see what happens.

Hmm, ADB devices should work. I have Jaguar on my 8500 and it's quite happy.

Does the mouse work when you boot from the Jaguar CD?

You could try using XPostFacto to install the "Old World" drivers and you might get ADB functionality back.

Well, it has definitely something to do with the update to 10.2.3: when I reinstalled server v10.2 the mouse responded normally. After upgrading to 10.2.3 it was dead again. I'll reinstall the original version and forget about the update, hoping that 10.2.4 will work as meant, unless someone's having a clue...

Han

Yep, it sounds like ADB support may have been dropped for 10.2.3 Server. Is it possible that Mac OS X Server has more stringent requirements than Mac OS X Client?

I suggest you back up the following files in /System/Library/Extensions and then after updating to 10.2.3 try putting them back (after backing up the 10.2.3 versions of course.)

AppleADBButtons.kext
AppleADBKeyboard.kext
AppleADBDisplay.kext
AppleADBMouse.kext

Looks like the problem was an incomplete install procedure: after installing 10.2 again, I gave the upgrade another try. This time the installer ended with an optimizing process, what, as I recall, didn't occur the first try. And yes, the mouse funtioned!
Thanks for your suggestions anyway ;-)

Han

Back