Moving User directories

acidtuch10

Registered
I know this may have been covered, But was unable to locate the how to --- So I am hopping someone can help me out. Iremember reading that using the netinfo manager it is possiable to relocate the user directories to another location ...IE another disk or partition. - verse just copping the directories over.. this way the system know where the directories are located... If anyone knows where this how to is I would appreciate it ..

Thanks

in netinfo manager, you navigate to /users/<username> and click on that. Then scroll down to where it says "home" and to the right of that should be "/users/<name>". Change that text to wherever you want to, if it is another partition/HD, it will have to be "/volumes/<volume name>/..." you will first have to authenticate however. once you have completed this, a home folder will be created, but it will have none of your files. So move your current user over in its place, and replace that file with it. Log out and log in, you'll be all set.

In the Terminal, you should first do a
ditto -rsrc -V /Users/username /Volumes/path/to/newhome

Then do as Xaq suggests. (This copies the user's home directory to its new location first, then you change the home directory setting in NetInfo.)

ok,

this was also something i was looking for but my questions is : Will all applications find their user data ? Like MSN Messenger, my Homebanking, iTunes an iPhoto ???

greetz

kozmic

Originally posted by x-kozmic
Will all applications find their user data ? Like MSN Messenger, my Homebanking, iTunes an iPhoto ???

Yes. The home directory location is stored in the NetInfo database, so once you change the location in NetInfo the apps will find the correct location.

Another method is to change /Users to be a symbolic link pointed to the new location where users home directories are. To do this you'd "ditto" as shown by gatorparrots to the new users directory (except you'd copy /Users to the new location) and then do a "ln -s <new users dir> /Users". Symbolic links are the same as the thing they point to (by definition of inodes).

That is ofcourse if you want to move ALL users and not just the one. I recommend separating users from the system/applications and also suggest moving the swap directory (which is by default /private/var/.vm (or similar - perhaps no '.') to a different partition to speed things up. I think there is an article on macoshints.com on this.

Cheers,

Brooke

Back