MSN Msngr, IE 5.2.3, Safari unexpectedly quits!

robchristianson

Registered
I have OS X up and running finally. Yesterday I downloaded the lastest system update.

Every time I start up the lastest MSN messenger, Safari, or IE they unexpectedly quit. I've been having a lot of UQ's lately... more like Expected, by now. ;)

Can anyone shed some light on what in the world is happening in the inner bowels of my machine?

I had lofty hopes for OS X but for the last two weeks have had nothing but headaches, and I need my stuff to get up and running so i can work.

please help, anyone!

I'm very tempted to just reinstall OS 9.2.2 and nothing else.

It's really the wierdest thing. IE 5.2, Fire, Mac Messenger, Adobe GoLive, MSN Messenger, Safari... basically anything that is OS X native and is Internet-related. They all Unexpectedly Quit shortly after launch. Most immediately crash, Safari waits until i go to the top or a different page. Very strange.

I went thru apple's walkthroughs with deleting quicktime prefs, app-specific prefs, etc. but no luck.

Can I reinstall OS X? The only problem then, is that I'll need to do the two newest patches.

Please help!

What install steps did you take? Did you install on a freshly formated drive? What update did you run? The 10.2.6 Combo? And what type of machine do you have? We need more insight in order to give any type of help.

Well, it started back when i first installed 10.2.3 on a freshly formatted drive - IE would quit right away, but I didnt think much about it then.

Following that, I did download the 10.2.6 combo and then yesterday the 10.2.8 update.

I discovered then, after moving all my old apps to the new HD, that I was only able to run any internet-related app under classic. No OS X native internet programs would stay up.

But I did do a reinstall this morning of 10.2.3 off of my CD, and everything seems okay now. Maybe one of the updates caused some problems, but I think more likely it was how i installed 10.2.3 originally. I did a Custom Install and did not include a lot of the Disk 2 stuff.

But thanks though - i pray that the problem doesnt happen again when i do the next system updates (i have yet to install either of them today)

Well there are tons of reports going around that 10.2.8 is bad, i haven't had any problems with it myself.

Back