Multiple 24 imacs networked to 2 Large Format Printers -- help

Phil@cpw

Registered
Hi All,

I run a lab with 8x 2.4 ghz 24" IMacs running Tiger. We have two large format printers,(Canon ipf5000 and ipf6100) that are currently hard wired,(USB), into 2 of the IMacs. I would like to network all the IMacs to both large format printers. Ithought I could use Print Sharing but I lose the ability to print with the specific Canon drivers I want, ( I only get Canon's generic CUPS drivers) so that is not working. Currently the Imacs are not connected via a server to each other. I work for a phenomenally cheap/broke non-profit that has no money I and am trying to do this on the cheap. Can I get by with a switch, do I need a printer server? Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Hi Phil

Do the Canon printers have a network port? Can you assign network info into the builtin RIP of the printers?
You do not need a server to do this, if the printers can broadcast themselves on your IP subnet via your existing switch.
If they do not have network ability then you will have to stick with OS X print sharing, once it is setup can you not force the PPD driver to the non GIMP one in printer options and supplies - driver?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried forcing the drivers as you suggested but it did not work.
I am also looking into trying to connect to the printers wirelessly but I am concerned about the capacity of the wireless router/server's ability to handle multiple large files at once.

All my machines are connected wirelessly to a server in another part of the building so I was hoping to keep the network to the imacs and the 2 printers only.

Phil

Hi Phil
What happens when you choose the correct driver?
Wireless networking will be very slow to print large format files.
Do the printers have network ports?
Can you get one ethernet cable from the existing network into your area?
If yes then just acquire a semi decent switch and network all the Mac's and printers (if possible)
Ed

Ed,

They driver I want is grayed out. I can only access the Canon CUPS driver. Running a cable down is prohibitive at the moment. I am concerned about the slow down and possible interference.

Thanks
phil

Phil
Have you updated your drivers recently? Try download the latest ones here-
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=260&modelid=14005#DownloadDetailAct
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=360&modelid=17686

Looks like the drivers were updated late last year, it may help.

Also in looking around the web those printers possibly have network capability, you could run wireless to your server and ethernet cable to the printers. The only thing with this is that Mac OS X will only use one interface at a time, you will need to switch between the two, one for server, one for printer. Its not ideal.
Ed

Back