multiple displays?

the lorax

Registered
For some reason, my laptop now has multiple displays, only one of which I can see -- when I look under preferences/displays/arrangement, there is one larger window (what I see on my screen) and another smaller window to the side. When I take a screenshot, I end up with two pictures, one of each display, and for some reason, my stickies are only showing up in the second, off-screen display. I have no idea how I managed to create this problem, but can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Sorry, I'm a bit illiterate when it comes to computer terminology -- by external display, do you mean another monitor? If so, I don't, I'm just using a laptop with no added monitor. Also, by having mirroring enabled, I assume you mean I have the box "mirror displays" under Arrangements checked? I don't. Is there any other place where I might have enabled mirroring somehow? This change occurred fairly spontaneously; I haven't messed with any of my system preferences for a while...

Hmm I really can't imagine this. Can you send me screenshot? so I can better diagnose your issue.Attach it through this thread

Sorry I took so long to reply. Let me know if there's anything else I can capture that would help the diagnosis.

Frankly you would not see that option if you dont have an external display connected or any projectors. Is this account-specific?have you tried another account?it may have something to do with the plist if its account specific. Do zap the pram just like what was suggested above as well.

It really is impossible for there to be an external display. It's a laptop. I'm the only user. The only thing it's *ever* been connected to is my external harddrive and my ipod, and it's handled those many times before without going haywire and creating multiple displays.

EDIT: I just reset the PRAM. No luck.

Last edited:
Something jammed in the port you would plug an external monitor into? That could make it think a second monitor was attached perhaps.

OK, then what happens when you _do_ connect a cable to the display out? It could b e an s/w problem but somehow i just get the impression that something is making the computer sure a second screen is plugged in.

Actually I agree. Again that particular window will only appear if you have an external display. Maybe you can bring it to your local apple repair center so they can have a look at it.

Back