My Mac Will Not Chime!!

MAbans

Registered
I have no top of issues with my performance of my mac. but I've notice the lack of the Trademark Chime. I've restarted it multiple times but no chime. This is worrying to me. What can I do?

Specs

G4 450
640 Ram
88 Gigs (3 HDs)
1 AGP & 1 PCi Video Card for dual monitor support.

Do you have external speakers plugged in? Are they turned on?

Do you get other sounds after start up?

I've got a DP Gigabit G4 and an B&W G3 that won't chime either. Have no idea why they won't chime (no external speakers). All my other Mac's chime just fine.

No external speakers or headphones hooked up. I can hear things after the fact. It's just nice thing that separates my Mac from my Windows Box. and after all it's what makes mac and mac. forget all that computer performance stuff. :p

Try zapping the PRAM by holding down Command-Option-P-R when you restart... keep those keys held down until the Mac restarts 3 times. See if that helps.

I've got a G4 PCI machine that exhibits this from time to time, and a PRAM zap usually helps.

Note: zapping the PRAM resets certain settings, like volume and key repeat rates and other trivial things. You may need to adjust these back to the way you want them after the procedure.

I only dislike the chime when i am starting my computer up in class or the library.

I also dislike how a lot of games over ride the sound settings you have. So say if i have everything muted and the volume down, quake and Demois Rising both make noise when they start up...

You can mute the startup chime in OS 9 by turning the system volume all the way down. It doesn't work in OSX. Thus it would follow that you could turn the chime back on by turning the OS 9 system volume up. Try that :)

dlloyd said:
You can mute the startup chime in OS 9 by turning the system volume all the way down. It doesn't work in OSX. Thus it would follow that you could turn the chime back on by turning the OS 9 system volume up. Try that :)

Depends on which model Mac you have. My iMac will mute the startup chime if the system volume is muted. Some other Macs startup chimes are not affected by the system volume, or cannot be muted.
Reset of P-RAM should always reset the startup chime.

Heh. I've got a G4 MDD DP 867 that chimes at MAX volume unless I have the system volume muted. I've tried just about everything.

Actually when I first set it up I set the volume at my preferred level. The first several restarts, for updates, the chime was as expected. Then one day I had to restart for an update and "BONG!!!!!!!!" Everyone in the room looked over towards me trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

Yep, I work on a dual 1.25 MDD machine from time to time for a friend, and damn if it doesn't sound like his speaker is gonna blow and shoot 20 feet across the room every time I restart it. Doesn't matter what the volume is set at (unless it's muted)...it just gives me that C-note (C-sharp?) at full-blast and the speaker jumps like it's gonna blow.

You can mute the startup chime in OS 9 by turning the system volume all the way down. It doesn't work in OSX. Thus it would follow that you could turn the chime back on by turning the OS 9 system volume up. Try that

Not true, disabling the chime does work on my ibook G3 700MHz (OSX).
BTW, OSX has two options. You can mute the sound and you can turn it all the way down (system volume). Both disables the sound, but only one "setting" will also mute the startup chime.
I believe if you choose to mute the sound, the chime is also disabled, but I am not to sure.

Back