Name wont change?

Yeah, you may be running up against a MAC OS limitation, never recommend using a dot(period) to begin a file name. that's almost always a protected deal. OSX expects files with dot as first character to be hidden. Maybe someone who knows more about Unix can apply that to Unix file structure also.

1. Do *not* use dots in volume names at all.

2. Do *not* use dots at the beginning of a name unless you want to hide it.

3. If you change a Volume name in /Volumes this doesn't really matter, because that's just the point in the computer's tree where a volume is mounted, not its actual name.

4. The Finder might not actually take on the changes you make in Terminal. The Finder's known to be a bit 'slow' in this aspect.

But can you describe what you actually want to accomplish? I guess you aim at something completely different than just renaming the volume, else you could just do it in the Finder.

I have 5 partitions my 10.1 drive, my 9.2drive, my swap file drive, and my norton diagnostic drive. I don't want to see the diagnostic drive or the swap drive. The finder wont let me change the name with a . so I did it with sudo no luck. I finaly did it from 9.2 but I don't think I should have to reboot to 9 so I was trying from the terminal. So how do you change names of volumes in the terminal so it reflects in the finder?

if you have installed dev tools, there's SetFile in /developer/tools

you can hide things you don't want to see with this.

SetFile -a V whateveryouwanttohide

should do it.

If you have some partitions, there's probably "temporary items" and "desktop folder" in each one...and afaik, there's no use for them. It's not a big deal, but if you find them annoying, you can hide them, too... or just trash them... I think some of them came back for whatever the reason... or I forgot to delete one or two... so I just d hide them all now...

in any case, this "SetFile" (you might want to add alias for it... with all lower case) was covered in some other thread...

Back