need help with my 9600/300

question: will it support 256MB pc-133 or 100, and what are the chances of the fire wire slot I bought for my pc working in my mac?

Oh yeah your firewire card, it depends on the manufacturer and what system your running on your 9600, if its OS X you may be able to find some open source drivers and recompile them, if its YDL Kudzu should pick up the card and if the card is made by D-Link theres probably Mac support.

The firewire card has to be OHCI-compliant to work. A fair number of cards will work, while a fair number will not. I was surprised to see a CompUSA-branded card be OHCI-compliant with no information on the outside of the box. Look in the manual that came with the card, you should be able to find some reference on if it is OHCI-compliant or not. Also, if it works with Linux out of the box, then it is OHCI-compliant and will work with OS X.

On the topic of RAM, yeah, PC-100/133 will NOT work. I personally use RAM from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com) using their particular brand of RAM which is cheap, carries a lifetime or advance lifetime (you get the new stick before you send the bad one back) replacement warranty. They also sort their RAM based on system, which makes it very difficult to buy RAM you can't use.

You can easily add up to four IDE hard drives (given that you can find space for them inside the case) with a third-party ATA PCI card, like this one from Sonnet:

http://sonnettech.com/product/tempo_ata133.html

You may need some hard drive power splitter cables if there's not enough power cables in the case to hook up the drives, but they're cheap and can readily be found at any computer store.

Also, if you don't want to get an additional card and only want to add a few extra GB of HD space, you can look at SCSI 20GB drives, and those will work without extra hardware. Or, if your Firewire card has an internal port, you can hook up an firewire/ATA bridge inside your case and use it that way. A raw firewire/ATA bridge can be found pretty cheap (cheaper than an ATA card), but you have to attach the drive yourself to the bridge when installing it.

I also want to buy a new video card, is 32MB enough for video games, I dont mind how good the graphics are I just want it to run smoothly?

looking for good processor upgrade and don't want to spend a whole lot more then $200, what is probably the best upgrade and the fastest for my moneys worth?

Back